Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pixiecat

Default Linked excel objects do not update properly

I have several objects pasted in a word doc as linked excel objects. If I
don't format them for layout, they update just fine. If I have to format
them for layout, they don't update anymore. The link still exists, but any
changes to the excel file do not flow through to the word doc. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

This comes under the heading of "That's the way it is..."

When you alter the formatting of an embedded object, you are effectively
creating a new local instance of the object that will not update.

Perform your formatting in the original application and the formatting
changes should flow through to your Word document with the update.

Cheers

On 10/2/06 10:31 AM, in article
, "pixiecat"
wrote:

I have several objects pasted in a word doc as linked excel objects. If I
don't format them for layout, they update just fine. If I have to format
them for layout, they don't update anymore. The link still exists, but any
changes to the excel file do not flow through to the word doc. Any ideas?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pixiecat

The changes that I'm making all have to do with layout, so that the linked
table is no longer in line with the text. If I set it for square, tight,
etc., it no longer updates. It seems odd to me that if the parts of the
office suite are designed to work together, you should be able to set linked
tables to the most appropriate alignment for the report and still have them
update, especially if the link is still intact, which it is.

If anyone can come up with a workaround, I'd really appreciate it. I'm
fresh out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.

"pixiecat" wrote:

I have several objects pasted in a word doc as linked excel objects. If I
don't format them for layout, they update just fine. If I have to format
them for layout, they don't update anymore. The link still exists, but any
changes to the excel file do not flow through to the word doc. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you apply wrapping other than In Line With Text, you are sending the
object into the drawing layer, where Word doesn't "see" it. You may be able
to accomplish what you need by placing the object in a frame instead. You
can still wrap text around it, but the frame content is still in the text
layer.

"pixiecat" wrote:

I have several objects pasted in a word doc as linked excel objects. If

don't format them for layout, they update just fine. If I have to

format
them for layout, they don't update anymore. The link still exists, but

any
changes to the excel file do not flow through to the word doc. Any

ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pixiecat

I tried to do that, but I can't figure it out. I'm using Word 2003, and it
doesn't handle frames the same way older versions do. Nothing I read in Help
actually helped. Can someone who knows how to handle frames in Word 2003
explain the process, step-by-step?

Again, thanks to all who have replied.

"pixiecat" wrote:

I have several objects pasted in a word doc as linked excel objects. If

don't format them for layout, they update just fine. If I have to

format
them for layout, they don't update anymore. The link still exists, but

any
changes to the excel file do not flow through to the word doc. Any

ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Frames still work the same way; you just have to find the same kind of
frame! Frame was removed from the Insert menu in Word 97 and made difficult
to find. You can use Customize to put it back, or you can use the Insert
Frame button on the Forms toolbar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When you apply wrapping other than In Line With Text, you are sending

the
object into the drawing layer, where Word doesn't "see" it. You may be

able
to accomplish what you need by placing the object in a frame instead.

You
can still wrap text around it, but the frame content is still in the

text
layer.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.