Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Daniel is offline

Default Captions

I am trying to finish up my 222 page thesis and it has a lot of figures and I
often cross reference then. But I had to place a space between caption and
the figure. now all through the document every time I reference a figure
there's a line spacing. is there a way to prevent the cross reference from
going to the next line?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You probably pressed Enter at the beginning of your caption to get the "line
space." This inserted an empty paragraph inside the bookmark for your
cross-reference. This is all too easy to do but could have been easily
avoided in this case by using Ctrl+0 to add 12 pts Spacing Before to each
caption; better still, you should add some Spacing Before to the Caption
style. It's not too late to do that, and deleting the excess paragraph would
probably solve the problem. The alternative is to reinsert every
cross-reference or every bookmark.

"Daniel" wrote in message
I am trying to finish up my 222 page thesis and it has a lot of figures

and I
often cross reference then. But I had to place a space between caption and
the figure. now all through the document every time I reference a figure
there's a line spacing. is there a way to prevent the cross reference from
going to the next line?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Daniel is offline

your correct. that's exactly what I had done. I've nearly gone back through
all one million figures and removed the line return. However, what i did to
add a line between the text and the figure is click on the image, press the
right arrow and hit enter.

thank you

Daniel

"Daniel" wrote in message
I am trying to finish up my 222 page thesis and it has a lot of figures

and I
often cross reference then. But I had to place a space between caption and
the figure. now all through the document every time I reference a figure
there's a line spacing. is there a way to prevent the cross reference from
going to the next line?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you pressed Enter at the end of the paragraph before the caption instead
of at the beginning of the caption, you shouldn't have gotten the empty
paragraph inside the bookmark, so I'm not sure how that happened.

I hope "one million" is an exaggeration!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You probably pressed Enter at the beginning of your caption to get the

"line
space." This inserted an empty paragraph inside the bookmark for your
cross-reference. This is all too easy to do but could have been easily
avoided in this case by using Ctrl+0 to add 12 pts Spacing Before to

each
caption; better still, you should add some Spacing Before to the Caption
style. It's not too late to do that, and deleting the excess paragraph

would
probably solve the problem. The alternative is to reinsert every
cross-reference or every bookmark.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Daniel" wrote in message
I am trying to finish up my 222 page thesis and it has a lot of

figures
and I
often cross reference then. But I had to place a space between caption

and
the figure. now all through the document every time I reference a

figure
there's a line spacing. is there a way to prevent the cross reference

from
going to the next line?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis Chuck Davis is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you pressed Enter at the end of the paragraph before the caption
instead
of at the beginning of the caption, you shouldn't have gotten the empty
paragraph inside the bookmark, so I'm not sure how that happened.

I hope "one million" is an exaggeration!

so
all may benefit.

"Daniel" wrote in message
I am trying to finish up my 222 page thesis and it has a lot of

figures
and I
often cross reference then. But I had to place a space between
caption

and
the figure. now all through the document every time I reference a

figure
there's a line spacing. is there a way to prevent the cross reference

from
going to the next line?

My Gawd! He must be related to our son?