Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Conan Kelly

Default Opening a TXT file unbound to paper size/margins

Hello all,

How do I open a text file in MS Word so that it is not bound to a paper size or margins?

I have a text file that I need to import into MS Access/SQL Server. This text file runs out to column 174 in Notepad (when Word
Wrap is shut off). But this text file is in a "Report" format: every 57 lines is the page header for the next page and then
records follow. That is why I want to open it in Word, so I can run macros on it to delete the page headers and the summaries at
the end of each section so I can import only records into Access/SQL Server.

When ever I open it in Word, first the File Conversion dialog box pops up with Unicode selected. I click "OK", but then the ruler
shows up at the top of the Word doc limited to 11.5" and the lines are wrapping when it gets to the right margin. I've tried
changing paper size and margins but can't seem to get the 11.5" ruler to expand so the lines will quit wrapping and each record will
only take up one line.

I'm afraid of how that will affect my macros. They will depend heavily on finding certain text and then deleting a certain number
of lines once that text is found. I would definitely be more comfortable writing/running my macros if the lines did not wrap.

I'm sorry if I'm ruffling some feathers by multi-/cross- posting on 3 different NG's. I just figure that I'm expanding my audience
and have a better chance of getting my questions answered.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly