Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default TOC formats

I have heading 1 and heading 2 in my document. When I inserted the TOC, I saw the default format - heading 1 left aligned and then heading 2 indented, and page nos. right aligned. Everything looked fine. Then I changed the document a bit, pressed F9. Still working fine. Then I changed the document some more and might have checked out the TOC *field* but made NO changes. At this point, I deleted the TOC by selecting it and pressing the delete button. Then, I tried to insert TOC again. This time I didn't get the default format as mentioned above. Heading 1 was centred and page number was right beside the heading instead of right aligned. Beside formats, it said "from template." As far as I am concerned, I had not done anything to change the format. What is happening here? How can I change back to the default? "Formal" is the closest to the default but I really want to have the default. Why isn't the default format one of the choices?

I had not saved the above document yet. Then, I used a blank new document and clicked on the TOC tab, I still got the default format and beside format it said from template. For the problem TOC, it also said from template, but the format was different. I thought it was one template for all documents? I am confused. Please help me sort this out.

Thank you.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Epinn

I had not saved the above document yet.

That's living on borrowed time! What happens if you accidentally pull the
plug out of the wall, or if Word decides it's in a bad mood and crashes, or
you accidentally delete all the text? Save early, save often (ctrl-s is the
fastest way to save your document).

I thought it was one template for all documents?

No, every document is not created from the same template. But if you did not
choose the template when you created your document, then it's based on
Word's default template, called normal.dot.

might have checked out the TOC *field* but made NO changes

Whether you think you made a change or not, the TOC styles in your document
have changed. You can re-set them to the default by (pretending to) delete
them. Word won't actually let you delete a built-in style. When you try,
Word will re-set the styles to the default. So, do Tools Templates and
Add-ins. Click Organizer. In the Styles tab, highlight all the TOC styles
(*not* the Heading styles) and delete them. BUT... save your document first!
Ideally, work on a spare backup copy of your document so you have something
to fall back on if you make a mess.

"Formal" is the closest to the default

Avoid changing the setting in the "Formats" list in the Table of Contents
dialog. It's a really nasty option, because when you choose, say "Formal",
it actually *changes* the styles in your document. That is, if you had
modified the TOC styles to suit your needs, and you choose "Formal" or
"Classic" or "Fancy" or any of the others, Word changes the TOC styles in
your document and you can't get back to your own settings except by using
Undo.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Epinn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Hi Shauna,

Glad you were the one who answered my post. I am not surprised that you felt my energy or "presence."

Why do I say this? Prior to my experiment, I have been reading your link

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

and I even checked out Duncan. What a cheerful sweetheart! He is a b______ c______??

Don't worry, I am pretty "careful" and usually I click "save" every few minutes throughout typing/editing a document. (I should use Ctrl+S from now on as it is easier. It's a habit that I want to change.) Earlier, I was playing with a second copy and the changes I made were very minor. The reason I left it open was because I didn't want to save the bad TOC settings. Also, if I couldn't fix it, I could just close the document without saving. This way I could get back to where I was before the mess.

I am aware that normal.dot is the default template and I usually use it for all my documents (so far). When I said one template for all documents, I meant to say one DEFAULT template. But I wasn't and am still not sure if the default TOC format is part of normal.dot. Help says normal.dot includes default styles ......... Not sure what styles it refers to, including TOC? In the TOC dialogue box, "from template" is the default option for formats. What does "from template" *really* mean? Please advise.

From your web site or above link, I picked up the following:

"Click the Outline Numbered Tab. Choose a pre-set numbering option that is similar to what you want. Choose this and promise yourself now that, no matter what, you will never choose any of the other options here. Always choose the box that is already highlighted."

Looks like I should tie my fingers when it comes to TOC formats too, right? Wonder why they are there.

I "pretended" or actually highlighted TOC1-9, black13h15 etc. and hit the delete button. The system didn't give me any warning nor error and pretended (?) the deletion. When I clicked on TOC tab again, I saw the default. I created the TOC and played with it some more like hitting F9. Then I deleted it again, inserted it and it was still the default. Then I deleted it again and when I tried to insert it again, the default disappeared. I only changed some formats or line spacing in the document. Then I had to head for the organizer again ...... I still don't know what caused the default to be changed. I wish I knew what was going on.

By the way, can you point me to a link that talks about how to type a Word document. When the show/hide button is on hide, everything looks fine. As soon as I make it show, it is a mess. I don't understand that little black square near the margins. Sometimes it goes with the line change (reversed P) and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks for your help.

Epinn

Hi Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Suzanne,

Thanks for the link. I want to clarify what I mean by "messy" when the show/hide button is on "show" mode. I don't mean that the document looks "messy" because of the presence of the non-printing characters; I mean I can see the "mess" I have made. For the record, I am not "alarmed" by the formatting marks but the b______ I have made.

I have a few questions after reading the article and I am going to start a different thread.

Thank you for your attention.

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message
[...]

From your web site or above link, I picked up the following:

"Epinn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Very commendable. I keep nonprinting characters displayed all the time, and
find it a great incentive not to create "messy" documents. Most of the
people who send me documents have no idea what a mess they are creating, I'm
sure. If they could see them the way I do, perhaps they'd clean up their
act, too.

"Epinn" wrote in message
[...]

From your web site or above link, I picked up the following: