Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gus Porteners Gus Porteners is offline

Default Using F4 to copy formats

In a document with headings in different formats I changed one of them
to Heading 3 and then used F4 to change all other headings to the same
style. No problem, but when I created a Content list only the first
heading showed.
Going back to that first heading, highlighting it and then using the
format painter the Content list turned out OK.
Why would F4 not work?
Curious
Gus Porteners

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gus Porteners Gus Porteners is offline

Thank you Suzanne. I have been trying to repeat it with a new document
("The lazy fox"...etc) and get the correct response every time, even
when just placing the insertion point in the headings after having
formatted the first one.
Baffled - mind you, not an unusual feeling!
Suzanne, I have been looking at this and other microsoft newsgroups for
years and I am much impressed and grateful for seeing your quick and
always helpful answers. Thanks to you I have learned a lot from them. I
am sure there are many like me so please pat yourself on the back.
Gus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
When you applied the style, did you have any text selected? If so, the
style
was applied only to the selected text and not the entire paragraph.
That's
the only reason I can think of for this process failing. (And even at
that,
the selected text should be in the TOC.)

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Gus Porteners" wrote in message
In a document with headings in different formats I changed one of
them
to Heading 3 and then used F4 to change all other headings to the
same
style. No problem, but when I created a Content list only the first
heading showed.
Going back to that first heading, highlighting it and then using the
format painter the Content list turned out OK.
Why would F4 not work?
Curious
Gus Porteners

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for your kind words. I confess that your problem was a stumper, and
I'm relieved that you have been unable to reproduce it. It's maddening, in a
way, not to know what it was that you did wrong/different to cause
unexpected results, but if it never happens again, you can just chalk it up
as "one of those things" and move on. g