Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary S Mary S is offline

Default Table of Content Format

I am trying to develop a table of contents for a large document and no matter
what I try my table of content format looks like:

ABC 1
abc 2

And I want it to look like:

ABC........................1
abc........................2

For some reason I can not get the page numbers to move over to the right.
Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try selecting the entire TOC and pressing Ctrl+Q. If that doesn't do the
trick, then the TOC styles have lost the right-aligned tab stop with period
leader, and you will have to reinsert it. When you inserted the TOC, did you
check the box for "Right align page numbers"? It's checked by default.
Another problem could be that you have a hanging indent far enough to the
right that the tab is stopping there and never getting to the tab stop at
the right margin.

"Mary S" Mary wrote in message
I am trying to develop a table of contents for a large document and no
matter
what I try my table of content format looks like:

ABC 1
abc 2

And I want it to look like:

ABC........................1
abc........................2

For some reason I can not get the page numbers to move over to the right.
Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Johnny Microscope Johnny Microscope is offline

"Mary S" Mary wrote in message
I am trying to develop a table of contents for a large document and no
matter
what I try my table of content format looks like:

ABC 1
abc 2

And I want it to look like:

ABC........................1
abc........................2

For some reason I can not get the page numbers to move over to the right.
Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

I have a similar problem

1)I am using Word 2003 to auto-generate the table of contents. The generated
table of contents mostly looks fine However, once in a while, I'll have an
entry that does not right-justify the page number. Instead, the page number
will display closer to the header text. How do I fix this?
2) also sometimes the header if it is long displays very close to the page
number. Is there a way to make the header wrap to a line below before it gets
close to the right hand side? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The first problem is usually caused by having a tab stop to the left of the
one for the page numbers (usually created by a hanging indent). If the entry
is very short, then the tab character will just reach that tab stop instead
of the one at the right margin. The only way to correct this is to remove or
move the existing tab stop.

For the second issue, in the TOC style set a right indent that is at least
half an inch to the left of the page numbers. Entry text will wrap at this
point, but the page numbers will still be at the right margin (since Word
allows you to have a right tab stop beyond the paragraph margin).

"Johnny Microscope" Johnny wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Johnny Microscope[_2_] Johnny Microscope[_2_] is offline

Thanks Suzanne and Stefan,

I still do not get things working. Do you set indents and tabs within the
formatting of the toc? (not within the word doc text itself?).

I tried to insert referencesindex & tablesTocmodify TOC1 (for
level1)format tabs . should I put a value for the tab or leave blank and
just select right position? To set the right indent do I do this as before
but go to modifyformatparagraph?

(The heading is actually quite long, wraps to third line). If I out in one
more word to the title it positions the page number to the right??

Incidently is it not OK to just tab within the toc till the page number is
all the way to the right. I think I read you should not alter anything within
the toc.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Johnny Microscope" wrote in
message ...
Thanks Suzanne and Stefan,

I still do not get things working. Do you set indents and tabs within the
formatting of the toc? (not within the word doc text itself?).

I tried to insert referencesindex & tablesTocmodify TOC1 (for
level1)format tabs . should I put a value for the tab or leave blank and
just select right position? To set the right indent do I do this as before
but go to modifyformatparagraph?

In the Index and Tables dialog box, click Modify to show a list of the TOC
styles. Click the desired style and then use the Modify button to display
the Modify Style dialog box.

In the dialog box, click the Format button, and then click Tabs to specify
tab stops for the chosen TOC style. And, yes, you will have to set a tab
stop explicitly, by specifying its alignment, position and the appropriate
tab leader.

When you are done, click OK; this will bring you back to the Modify Style
dialog box. To change the right indent, click Format, Paragraph. When you
are done, click OK. Click OK to close the Modify Style dialog box.

(The heading is actually quite long, wraps to third line). If I out in one
more word to the title it positions the page number to the right??

Setting a hanging indent for the TOC style might be helpful here.

Incidently is it not OK to just tab within the toc till the page number is
all the way to the right. I think I read you should not alter anything
within the toc.

That is correct. If you modify the TOC directly, those changes will be wiped
out the next time you update it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

One correction: although a hanging indent is certainly helpful, what you
need to keep the TOC entry from overrunning the page numbers is a RIGHT
indent, as I mentioned in my first reply. While you are modifying the TOC
style, after setting the tabs, choose Format | Paragraph and change the
indent value.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are quite right of course. I don't understand why I keep referring to
hanging indents in this thread. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Johnny Microscope[_2_] Johnny Microscope[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the continued support Suzanne & Stefan,

I have not got to trying the tips you sent yet as when I now opened my
document all my headings from the chapters which I expand seem to have been
lost. They are body text again. So I get the error also in the toc that
"cannot find bookmark". Any chance to recover or have I screwed up somehow or
got a ghost in the machine? I am worried if anything else in the document is
corrupted.