Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Tom is offline

Default Embedded objects missing

Hi,
I have a report which was fine until this morning when I opened it and all
the illustrations, charts, contents page, references etc now appear as text
saying embedded object etc.
When I'm on print preview they're all there but I can't view them anywhere
else! This has never happened before so I'm completely lost but have to
finish this report today. Any suggestions greatfully received!
Cheers,
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Select all document (Ctrl+A), F9 to refresh fields. Does this cure you problem?
Hope this helps.
DeanH

"Tom" wrote:

Hi,
I have a report which was fine until this morning when I opened it and all
the illustrations, charts, contents page, references etc now appear as text
saying embedded object etc.
When I'm on print preview they're all there but I can't view them anywhere
else! This has never happened before so I'm completely lost but have to
finish this report today. Any suggestions greatfully received!
Cheers,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

You forgot to mention which version of Word you are using.
For 2003 and prior, also check in Tools, Options, View, that Field codes has
not been ticked.
All the best
DeanH

"Tom" wrote:

Hi,
I have a report which was fine until this morning when I opened it and all
the illustrations, charts, contents page, references etc now appear as text
saying embedded object etc.
When I'm on print preview they're all there but I can't view them anywhere
else! This has never happened before so I'm completely lost but have to
finish this report today. Any suggestions greatfully received!
Cheers,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Tom is offline

Hi Dean,
Thanks for getting back to me, I'm in 2007. I've tried hitting F9 with it
all selected but still have the problem. Don't suppose you have any other
suggestions please?
Cheers,
Tom

"Tom" wrote:

Hi,
I have a report which was fine until this morning when I opened it and all
the illustrations, charts, contents page, references etc now appear as text
saying embedded object etc.
When I'm on print preview they're all there but I can't view them anywhere
else! This has never happened before so I'm completely lost but have to
finish this report today. Any suggestions greatfully received!
Cheers,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Sorry, have not used 2007 so cannot help with its new control structure.
Have you checked the 2007 equivalent to Tools Options View?
All the best
DeanH

"Tom" wrote:

Hi,
I have a report which was fine until this morning when I opened it and all
the illustrations, charts, contents page, references etc now appear as text
saying embedded object etc.
When I'm on print preview they're all there but I can't view them anywhere
else! This has never happened before so I'm completely lost but have to
finish this report today. Any suggestions greatfully received!
Cheers,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Tom is offline

The control structure is actually a big pile of ****. If I hadn't paid so
much money for it I'd go back to my old Office XP. I'll play around with
field codes until I get something. Thanks for your help,
Tom

"Tom" wrote:

Hi,
I have a report which was fine until this morning when I opened it and all
the illustrations, charts, contents page, references etc now appear as text
saying embedded object etc.
When I'm on print preview they're all there but I can't view them anywhere
else! This has never happened before so I'm completely lost but have to
finish this report today. Any suggestions greatfully received!
Cheers,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Tom is offline

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread lookg for help, I've actually
found the solution - toggle field codes. Ctrl A, right click, toggle field
codes. So many of the commands in 2007 are hidden in obscure menus that I'm
coming to rely on right click more and more...