Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Serengetti

Default saving autotext entries

I cannot save an autotext entry when I quit Word so that it will be with the
document when I reopen it. I get the following message:

Word cannot save changes to the global template because it was opened with
read-only access.

How can I save autotext so I don't have to reenter the data each time I open
a document?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Are you using a shared normal.dot template? Or does your normal.dot template
have the read only attribute set?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Serengetti" wrote in message
I cannot save an autotext entry when I quit Word so that it will be with
the
document when I reopen it. I get the following message:

Word cannot save changes to the global template because it was opened with
read-only access.

How can I save autotext so I don't have to reenter the data each time I
open
a document?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Serengetti

To the discussion group: I guess I better clarify that I'm using a file that
is a .doc file. I can actually close and reopen the file without losing the
changes. However, I lose the changes when I close and reopen the program.
When I start to close the program I get this message "Word cannot save
changes to the global template because it was opened with read-only access."

Even though I'm not using a template file apparently the file I'm working on
is using resources from the global template or sharing resources with a
global template or something like that.

Does anyone know how I can open a word file in such a way that it uses a
shared normal.dot template rather than a normal.dot template file - if that
is indeed the problem. For example, could I copy all the text from the file
I'm using to the clipboard, close the file and then open a new file with a
proper template that I can save changes to (although I don't know how to get
to the right template to do this) and then paste and save as a doc file under
a new name?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Or is it locked following a crash? -
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Are you using a shared normal.dot template? Or does your normal.dot
template have the read only attribute set?

"Serengetti" wrote in message
I cannot save an autotext entry when I quit Word so that it will be
with the
document when I reopen it. I get the following message:

Word cannot save changes to the global template because it was
opened with read-only access.

How can I save autotext so I don't have to reenter the data each
time I open
a document?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Serengetti

Hi Graham,
I don't think it is after a crash.

I just tried an experiment. I discovered I didn't have a Normal.dot template
so I thought that might be the problem. I tried to create one. What I think
you do is, without any documents open, just select open new blank document
from the file menu. I think that is supposed to give me a new file based on
Word's defaults. Well I reentered a couple of autotext entries and saved it
as a template named Normal.dot. I tried to quit word and got the same warning
"Word cannot save changes to the global template because it was opened with
read-only access."

So, How can I get a new Normal template based on Word's defaults but with
write privileges? I cannot find any place in the program to let me change a
preference so the template can be written to.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

I realize that I am cutting in here.

You do have a Normal.dot template because if you didn't, Word would create
one when it started (There is no Word withour a normal.dot).

Open Windows Explorer. Click ToolsFolder OptionsView

and click "Show hidden files and folders"

OK out.

The go to C:\Documents and Settings\You\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

*You* being however you are identified on the PC

and I thing there you will find your Normal.dot

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Serengetti wrote:
Hi Graham,
I don't think it is after a crash.

I just tried an experiment. I discovered I didn't have a Normal.dot
template so I thought that might be the problem. I tried to create
one. What I think you do is, without any documents open, just select
open new blank document from the file menu. I think that is supposed
to give me a new file based on Word's defaults. Well I reentered a
couple of autotext entries and saved it as a template named
Normal.dot. I tried to quit word and got the same warning "Word
cannot save changes to the global template because it was opened with
read-only access."

So, How can I get a new Normal template based on Word's defaults but
with write privileges? I cannot find any place in the program to let
me change a preference so the template can be written to.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Of course you have a normal.dot - it's a hidden file, as would be the lock
file that I believe is causing your problem. Did you even bother to read the
link I posted

Furthermore, you cannot create a normal.dot template. Only Word can do that
(and it will if it is missing). Normal.dot must never be shared!

Serengetti wrote:
Hi Graham,
I don't think it is after a crash.

I just tried an experiment. I discovered I didn't have a Normal.dot
template so I thought that might be the problem. I tried to create
one. What I think you do is, without any documents open, just select
open new blank document from the file menu. I think that is supposed
to give me a new file based on Word's defaults. Well I reentered a
couple of autotext entries and saved it as a template named
Normal.dot. I tried to quit word and got the same warning "Word
cannot save changes to the global template because it was opened with
read-only access."

So, How can I get a new Normal template based on Word's defaults but
with write privileges? I cannot find any place in the program to let
me change a preference so the template can be written to.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

AutoText entries cannot be saved in a document; they must be saved in the
document template. When you create a new Blank Document, that template is
Normal.dot. See my suggestion in response to your earlier duplicate post.