Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hbear hbear is offline

Default outline level 2 promoted to level 1 when printed

I'm working on a document in outline view, and everything is fine until I
switch to print or normal view, then level 2 in the outline is promoted to
level 1 and printed as such. Anyone know what's going on and how to correct
it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In what way is the second level "promoted"? Are you saying that its
indent is different? Note that the indents seen in Outline view reflect
the *outline level* (in Format | Paragraph), whereas the indents in an
actual printout (or in Print Preview) are determined by the *indent*
settings of the paragraph(s).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hbear" wrote in message
I'm working on a document in outline view, and everything is fine

until I
switch to print or normal view, then level 2 in the outline is

promoted to
level 1 and printed as such. Anyone know what's going on and how to

correct
it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note also that for numbered paragraphs, it will be safer to change the
indent settings in the Numbering dialog box than in the Paragraph dialog
box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hbear" wrote in message
I'm working on a document in outline view, and everything is fine

until I
switch to print or normal view, then level 2 in the outline is

promoted to
level 1 and printed as such. Anyone know what's going on and how to

correct
it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hbear hbear is offline

Thank you. That appears to be the answer. And I've learned something new.
With that discovery, however, I've also discovered the extent of the
formatting problem. I don't know how or why it happened, but it seems every
instance of the six outline levels I'm using has its own indent formatting.
(One level 3 has a 1.25 indent, while another 3 has .75", etc...) Given what
you've shown me, would it be possible to create a default indent position for
each level and apply them to the entire document in one sweep, so that all
levels fall into the new and appropriate default positions? Otherwise, I'm
facing the line-by-line correction of an extremely long document. Help...?

"hbear" wrote in message
I'm working on a document in outline view, and everything is fine

until I
switch to print or normal view, then level 2 in the outline is

promoted to
level 1 and printed as such. Anyone know what's going on and how to

correct
it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you properly define your styles, anchored to a properly defined
outline-numbered list, everything should work as desired/designed. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

"hbear" wrote in message
I'm working on a document in outline view, and everything is fine

until I
switch to print or normal view, then level 2 in the outline is

promoted to
level 1 and printed as such. Anyone know what's going on and how to

correct
it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hbear hbear is offline

Spent a day figuring all this out, but it works wonderfully now. And it'll
certainly come in handy in the future. Thanks!

"hbear" wrote in message
I'm working on a document in outline view, and everything is fine
until I
switch to print or normal view, then level 2 in the outline is
promoted to
level 1 and printed as such. Anyone know what's going on and how to
correct
it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Glad I could point you to help from Shauna.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you properly define your styles, anchored to a properly defined
outline-numbered list, everything should work as desired/designed. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.