Default Where is "favorites" in Word 2003 save/open

I agree wholeheartedly that it was incredibly stupid to take favorites out
of Word 2003. Who in the world would make such a decision. One of my pet
peeves is programmers who take something they personally don't use out of s/w
upgrades, with little regard for those who do use them.
All the time I have wasted trying to get favorites back into Word (which
I used ALL the time) that I could have used productively. Who in the world
uses any of those other icons they put in the default panel?
Also, I agree with whoever said it was very dumb to include IE URL
favorites in the same list with Word favorites.
Does anyone from Microsoft read these comments? So maybe we can get
favorites put back into Word in future upgrades and save a lot of new people
the hassles we have been thru?

You can add the Favorites folder to the Places Bar as easily as you can add
any other folder. The reason it was removed was doubtless that most users
found it useless because it combined IE bookmarks as well as Word
"favorites." Instead of adding the (Windows) Favorites folder to the places
bar, why don't you create a Favorites folder in Word and add shortcuts to
your most-used documents there, then add that folder to the Places Bar?
Also, for up to nine most-used documents, the Work menu is very useful; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm

As a general rule, no one from Microsoft reads posts to these NGs unless
they are posted (through the Communities portal) as a Suggestion for
Microsoft.

"
ft.com wrote in message
[...]

Sorry it I was so negative, but I believe my points are still valid. If they
were going to take favorites out of Word, then why no explanation in Help,
either in Word 2003 or anywhere in Online Help (that I could find)? Just
delete it, with no info to those who switch to 2003? This indicates to me
incompetency at play, rather than some wiser design based on valid reasons.

And now rather than just simply click that I want a given directory in
favorites, I have to do all the cumbersome steps of creating and inserting a
shortcut, etc. And spend all this time trying to figure out how to do it.

I had no reason to upgrade to 2003, except that 3rd party s/w I used with
Word 2000 suddenly stopped working, and after 3 days of trying (with much
help from that party tech support, but none from Microsoft even though it was
Microsoft's April 12 upgrade to Office 2000 that did it), I couldn't fix it.
There is no additional functionality in Word 2003 that I need, but now there
are things I used before that arent' there. That isn't an upgrade, it's a
downgrade (and I paid for it!).

Someone simply has to admit that this was a bonehead move and fix it.
Apologies again for the negativity, but this is the truth.

Bob K.

ft.com wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

I am certainly one of the users who asked to have Favorites folder taken off
the places bar's built-in folders. It was using up valuable real estate. For
me favorites is for web pages. I use subfolders of My Documents as well as
the Work menu within Word. I have a number of Word folders that I've added
to the places bar.

Note that unless you post as a suggestion for Microsoft on their portal (the
wrong way generally to access these newsgroups) it is highly unlikely that
anyone from Microsoft will even read your comments. This is a user-to-user
support group.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.