David

Default Memory usage with Tables

I have a document that is roughly 120 pages of just tables. When I open it my
memory spikes to 99% and every time I page down it takes nearly 2 minutes to
repopulate before I have to page down again.

I am wondering if there is a known issue with reports that have an extensive
amount of Tables in it and if there is does anyone have a hyperlink so I can
show my boss it is a known issue.

Thank you.
David
Anne Troy

Tables are like Jack Daniels. They get nasty after a few too many.
Save it to RTF, David. Close it, reopen it, and then save it back to a DOC.
Here's "my" hyperlink. Step 2 says right out loud that saving as RTF works
particularly well with tables.
http://www.officearticles.com/word/r...d_document.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"David" wrote in message
I have a document that is roughly 120 pages of just tables. When I open it

my
memory spikes to 99% and every time I page down it takes nearly 2 minutes

repopulate before I have to page down again.

I am wondering if there is a known issue with reports that have an

extensive
amount of Tables in it and if there is does anyone have a hyperlink so I

can
show my boss it is a known issue.

Thank you.
David

David

Thank you Anne.

I tried the suggestions in the hyperlink and that did not speed the process.
As soon as I opened it up in either RTF of DOC format it hung and my CPU went
up and fluctuated around 95 - 98%. I couldn't page down. It doesn't seemed
corrupt it just seems to be an issue with trying to get ALL that information.

I like the analogy with the Jack Daniels. Do you or anyone know if
Microsoft has a way to have a table roughly 120 pages by 6 columns open and
function. I tried all view types, or does my boss need to find a way to get
the informaiton in a different format?

Thank you.
David

"David" wrote in message
I have a document that is roughly 120 pages of just tables. When I open it

my
memory spikes to 99% and every time I page down it takes nearly 2 minutes

repopulate before I have to page down again.

I am wondering if there is a known issue with reports that have an

extensive
amount of Tables in it and if there is does anyone have a hyperlink so I

can
show my boss it is a known issue.

Thank you.
David

David

Hello Suzanne, that kind of article is exactly what I need. Thank You.

I looked in Tols Options General and my €śBackground repagination€ť is
greyed out witha check. I am running Word 2002 am I wonder if that is a
setting I can't change, or I need to change one thing to get the greyed box
available.

Thank you again.
David

"David" wrote in message
I have a document that is roughly 120 pages of just tables. When I open it

my
memory spikes to 99% and every time I page down it takes nearly 2 minutes

repopulate before I have to page down again.

I am wondering if there is a known issue with reports that have an

extensive
amount of Tables in it and if there is does anyone have a hyperlink so I

can
show my boss it is a known issue.

Thank you.
David

Jean-Guy Marcil

David was telling us:
David nous racontait que :

Hello Suzanne, that kind of article is exactly what I need. Thank You.

I looked in Tols Options General and my "Background repagination"
is greyed out witha check. I am running Word 2002 am I wonder if that
is a setting I can't change, or I need to change one thing to get the
greyed box available.

This option is not available in Page Layout view. Here is what the help has
to say about that option:

"Background repagination Repaginates documents automatically as you work.
This option is unavailable when you use page layout view because it works
automatically in that mode and you can't turn it off. "

Generally speaking, if you are concerned with display speed while working,
it is better to work in Normal view and switch to print layout only at the
end to fine tune the lay out.

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

David

Thank You all for your help.

David

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

David was telling us:
David nous racontait que :

[...]

Klaus Linke

Hi David,

It's probably mentioned in the article Suzanne gave you, but ...
You can set all tables to fixed width, so Word doesn't constantly run the
background task that tries to optimize column widths:

Dim myTable As Table
For Each myTable In ActiveDocument.Tables
myTable.AutoFitBehavior (wdAutoFitFixed)
myTable.AllowAutoFit = False ' might be redundant?
Next myTable

The tables won't change automatically any more, though.
You could write a macro that adjusts the tables "on demand" the way you want
and ends up with fixed column widths.
I use often something like:

Dim myTable As Table
For Each myTable In ActiveDocument.Tables
myTable.AutoFitBehavior (wdAutoFitContent)
ActiveDocument.Repaginate
myTable.AutoFitBehavior (wdAutoFitWindow)
ActiveDocument.Repaginate
myTable.AutoFitBehavior (wdAutoFitFixed)
myTable.AllowAutoFit = False
Next myTable

Regards,
Klaus