Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CircleOfFriends CircleOfFriends is offline

Default Making a Table of Contents

I have a couple dozen MSWord files that would represent chapters.

How can I generate a TOC from this information and format?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman[_2_] Jay Freedman[_2_] is offline

Start with a new blank document. Insert an RD field for each chapter,
containing the full path and file name of the chapter document. Then you can
create a table of contents in that new document, and it will pick up the
headings in the chapters.

Look at the help topic about "Field codes: RD field" for information.

--
Jay Freedman

"CircleOfFriends" wrote:

I have a couple dozen MSWord files that would represent chapters.

How can I generate a TOC from this information and format?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CircleOfFriends CircleOfFriends is offline

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong?
Are you able to tell by looking over the following:

Table of Contents
{ TOC }
{ RD
Table of Contents 1

} RD
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook 2007\\Forward.doc"

{ RD
€śC:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook
2007\\Preface--revised.doc€ť }

{ RD
€śC:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook 2007\\Winter.doc€ť }

{ RD
€śC:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook
2007\\Winter\\Grandma's Chicken Divan.doc€ť }

Winter\Bruggner's German Potato Salad.doc

Winter\Auntie Mary's Borsch.doc

Thank you for your help!
I tried it a couple different ways and none of them work out.

"CircleOfFriends" wrote:

I have a couple dozen MSWord files that would represent chapters.

How can I generate a TOC from this information and format?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

With the understanding that each pair of braces should be inserted
with Ctrl+F9 or by going through the Insert Field dialog, I would
expect to see something more like this:

Table of Contents
{ TOC }

{ RD
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook
2007\\Forward.doc" }

{ RD
“C:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook
2007\\Preface--revised.doc” }

{ RD
“C:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook
2007\\Winter.doc” }

{ RD
“C:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook
2007\\Winter\\Grandma's Chicken Divan.doc” }

{ RD
“C:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook
2007\\Winter\\Bruggner's German Potato Salad.doc" }

{ RD
“C:\\Documents and Settings\\aa\\My Documents\\Cookbook
2007\\Winter\\Auntie Mary's Borsch.doc" }

"CircleOfFriends" wrote:

I have a couple dozen MSWord files that would represent chapters.

How can I generate a TOC from this information and format?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman