jay

Default Find and Replace

Using Word 2003 on CP platform. I'm trying to edit a large document which is
being converted from another software to Word. There are lines of control
commmands that I need to delete. Fortunately, each line begins with the
character #.

I don't see a way of having the find and replace feature search for commands
beginning with # and deleting the entire line. Can someone help?
Graham Mayor

It depends what constitutes a line in your document, but at its simplest
a wildcard search for

#*^13 will find your commands if they are on a line of their own - see
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

jay wrote:
Using Word 2003 on CP platform. I'm trying to edit a large document
which is being converted from another software to Word. There are
lines of control commands that I need to delete. Fortunately, each
line begins with the character #.

I don't see a way of having the find and replace feature search for
commands beginning with # and deleting the entire line. Can someone
help?

Larry

In the Find What box put this:
(^13)#[!^13]{1,}^13

In the Replace With box put this:
\1

And check the Use Wildcards feature.

Then you will have to run Replace All twice (to get any lines with #
that are sequential to each other that are missed on the first pass).
Getting them all in one pass would require a macro and I'm trying to
keep this simple for you.

Larry

jay wrote:
Using Word 2003 on CP platform. I'm trying to edit a large document
which is being converted from another software to Word. There are
lines of control commmands that I need to delete. Fortunately, each
line begins with the character #.

I don't see a way of having the find and replace feature search for
commands beginning with # and deleting the entire line. Can someone
help?

jay

Evidently I didnot do the right thing. An example of the control line is:

#VERSE_COMMENTARY:Ex 4:20

Where the information after the colon changes.

"jay" wrote:

Using Word 2003 on CP platform. I'm trying to edit a large document which is
being converted from another software to Word. There are lines of control
commmands that I need to delete. Fortunately, each line begins with the
character #.

I don't see a way of having the find and replace feature search for commands
beginning with # and deleting the entire line. Can someone help?

Graham Mayor

A bigger sample than just the one line would be helpful (including the other
text you wish to keep); however wildcard seartch I posted earlier will find
this line *provided the line ends with a paragraph mark*

i.e

#*^13
replace with nothing

Did you check the wildcard check box?

"jay" wrote:

Using Word 2003 on CP platform. I'm trying to edit a large document
which is being converted from another software to Word. There are
lines of control commmands that I need to delete. Fortunately, each
line begins with the character #.

I don't see a way of having the find and replace feature search for
commands beginning with # and deleting the entire line. Can someone
help?

Find and Replace GREEK symbols in XP, 2K & 97 Jazz Microsoft Word Help 3 April 8th 05 08:13 PM
Problem with function "Find and Replace" in Word. Pat Microsoft Word Help 3 March 16th 05 01:04 PM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 05:31 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 05:47 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 02:22 AM