WaltA

Default A4 certreline

Total newbie user here ! :-)
How best to find the vertical certreline of an A4 page ?
Is there a ruler or grid somewhere that I can use ?
what I want to do is position things equidistant either side of a
centreline so that when I use a similar layout (template?) for a
second page on the other side of the sheet of paper (turning it over
and reinserting in the printer) then the two printings line up their
right and left limits (one behind the other)

(I'll worry about the alignment up-down later after sorting this
left-right bit !! )

Thanks.
PS
I have Word2000 as part of MSworks2001 (bundled by my supplier wayback
and never before used) in WinME.

Walt.
Pat Garard

G'Day Walt,

It might be better to state your ultimate Goal, rather than a
technical 'waypoint' -

IF you are trying to print a Booklet, Word can handle that
for you, see my PS (copied from Help).

For your immediate problem, I suggest using a Table with
Two Columns and One Row on each side of the page. If
your Page Margins are symmetric then the centrelines of the Table
and the Page will coincide. Use the (single) left cell for all the
text on one (left) side and vice-versa.

Use TableSelect Table if you need to set the Cell Margins.

Use FormatBorders and Shading, and select 'None' under Borders.
This will stop any Table Borders from printing.

Use TableShow/Hide Gridlines to show/hide faint borders on screen (in
Print Layout view only).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

1.. Start a new, blank document.
2.. On the File menu, click Page Setup, and then click the Margins tab.
3.. In the Multiple pages list, select Book fold.
If your document is not set to landscape orientation, Microsoft Word sets it to
landscape.

4.. In the Inside and Outside boxes, type or select the amount of space you want
for the inside and outside margins (margin: The blank space outside the printing
area on a page.).
If you need even more space along the fold to accommodate binding, type or select
the amount of space you want in the Gutter box.

5.. In the Sheets per booklet list, select the number of pages you want to include
in a single booklet.
If the number of pages in the document exceeds the number of pages you select for
a booklet, Word prints the document as multiple booklets.

6.. Select any other options you want in the Page Setup dialog box.
7.. Add text, graphics, headers or footers (header and footer: A header, which can
consist of text or graphics, appears at the top of every page in a section. A
footer appears at the bottom of every page. Headers and footers often contain
page numbers, chapter titles, dates, and author names.), and other elements
to your document as usual.

==================
"WaltA" wrote in message
Total newbie user here ! :-)
How best to find the vertical certreline of an A4 page ?
Is there a ruler or grid somewhere that I can use ?
what I want to do is position things equidistant either side of a
centreline so that when I use a similar layout (template?) for a
second page on the other side of the sheet of paper (turning it over
and reinserting in the printer) then the two printings line up their
right and left limits (one behind the other)

(I'll worry about the alignment up-down later after sorting this
left-right bit !! )

Thanks.
PS
I have Word2000 as part of MSworks2001 (bundled by my supplier wayback
and never before used) in WinME.

Walt.

WaltA

Greetings Pat, thanks for your reply,
Yes, you are telepathic (!), it is indeed a booklet that I am trying
to make, for a CD jewel case with an archive of some of my less used
files that I need to remove from my HD.

So, with glee I went straight to your PS -
but the sad news is that I do not appear to have a booklet option in
my Works/Word :-(
At your line 3 I have no Multiple pages list under the Margins tab and
thus no Book fold to select.
My Word-About says "Microsoft Word 2000 (9.0.3821SR-1)"
so I must be too old for the booklet options
I have searched Help with keyword 'Booklet' and found nothing obvious.

However, it is now 1:30am local and after a couple of beers I may well
have missed something obvious (!!) so I'll try again in the morning
and then follow your table suggestion, many thanks for that.

It is partly an academic exercise in learning MSWord ( I already have
a simple long folded list of all the files done in Notepad ) but I was
trying to be clever and modify a Template that I found on Microsoft's
Labels & Jackets site :
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT011389781033

g'night

WaltA

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:09:02 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm

Excellent, thank you very much.
And today I learned a new word:= duplex :-)

Argh!
I must be going blind in my old age as well, because I had read the
FAQ on Templates and Ruler of all you survey and one or two others but
totally failed to see the booklet one.
/argh

There are a *lot* of articles at http://word.mvps.org. Also, for future
reference, you might keep in mind that dividing your page into two
newspaper-style columns will allow you to split material evenly on the two
sides (you can even put a line between the columns if you like). This is
useful for creating "booklets" of just four pages (such as a simple church
bulletin or concert program). As long as the "cover" (page 1) doesn't have
to continue to the inside, you can easily set this up by creating the
"pages" (columns) with 2 and 3 on one side and 4 and 1 on the other. There's
an article about columns, too; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:09:02 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm

Excellent, thank you very much.
And today I learned a new word:= duplex :-)

Argh!
I must be going blind in my old age as well, because I had read the
FAQ on Templates and Ruler of all you survey and one or two others but
totally failed to see the booklet one.
/argh

WaltA

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:40:18 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"wrote:
There's an article about columns, too; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm

Thanks, good stuff, it taught me about linking.

The good news is that I now have two boxes on a page, aligned so that
when printed on each side of the paper all 4 line up nicely, and I
have made a little 4-page booklet (with pretty background pictures as
well !) to fit the CD jewel case.
I had to split my text file up into 4 parts to do it before I learned
about linking the boxes together :-!)

A small puzzle :-
When I prepare the text document I can set its font etc and that is
carried with it when I copy and paste it into the linked boxes.
But if I set page breaks they dont get carried into the boxes.
For example, if I wanted just the first 10 lines of the doc in the
page 1 box, followed by all the rest of the lines flowing through the
other 3 boxes, it wont 'do' !
Of course it is easy enough just to split the file and prepare two
texts, that is why I said "a small puzzle" ! Just curious, should I be
able to do page breaks in the boxes, have I not spotted something
obvious ?

Thanks again for your excellent help.

WaltA

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:33:24 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Page breaks won't work,

Ah! Ok, good, so it isn't operator malfunction then !!

but you should be able to use "Keep with next"

Errr, I should ?
newuser, slopes-off to look at the FAQs, to see what he missed ,
again. !!

WaltA

but you should be able to use "Keep with next"

Ok, I found it, Format/Paragraph/Line and Page Breaks

thanks, I'll go have a play with that.