Alan Russell

Default Why does Print Preview enable the horizontal scroll bar?

Whenever I use Print Preview in Word 2002, the horizontal scroll bar is
enabled. I don't use this scroll bar and having it turned on just wastes
space on the screen.

Beth Melton

There isn't a separate option for turning the horizontal scroll bar
off just for Print Preview.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Alan Russell" wrote in message
Thank you, but I already knew how to turn off the scroll bar. What I
want to do is stop Print Preview from turning it on.

Alan Russell

You misunderstand my problem.

I usually work in Normal View, but occasionally I venture into Print Preview
to check the print layout. (Yes, I know I could use Print View, but Print
Preview is more convenient.) When I close the document and re-open it in
Normal View the Horizontal Scroll Bar is enabled. If I don't go into Print
Preview the Scroll bar stays disabled.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
There isn't a separate option for turning the horizontal scroll bar off
just for Print Preview.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Alan Russell" wrote in message
Thank you, but I already knew how to turn off the scroll bar. What I want
to do is stop Print Preview from turning it on.

Beth Melton

As a matter of fact, I did wonder if you were encountering this minor
bug so thanks for the additional details. :-)

We encountered this issue in the newsgroups a few years ago and the
solution I came up with was to use a macro in place of the built-in
Print Preview command which seems to work:

Sub PreviewView()
ActiveDocument.PrintPreview
With ActiveWindow
.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = False
End With
End Sub

If you want the specifics behind the bug and more information on how
to use the macro then take a look at the previous thread on this topic
for more information:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars/browse_frm/thread/7a30c3d26e8a23a3/d50633b309d79e57?q=%22Scroll+bar+customi(z)sation% 22&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fie%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%22Scroll+bar+customi(z)sation%22%26qt_s%3 DSearch+Groups%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#d50 633b309d79e57

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Alan Russell

Thank you.
Has this bug been corrected yet? I see that your "fix" was dated in May
2000, that's a long time for a bug to survive.

[...]

Beth Melton

The original bug was in Word 97. The horizontal scroll bar reappears
in the Normal, Print Layout, and Print Preview. In Word 2000 it
reappears in Print Preview only, so it was half-fixed and IIRC it was
fixed at some point in Word 2002.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Alan Russell" wrote in message
Thank you.
Has this bug been corrected yet? I see that your "fix" was dated in
May 2000, that's a long time for a bug to survive.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
As a matter of fact, I did wonder if you were encountering this
minor bug so thanks for the additional details. :-)

Beth Melton

Hmmm...I don't recall when it was fixed exactly, and I don't think it
was documented since it's a minor bug, but I'm unable to duplicate it
in Word 2003 SP-3.

Do you have some exact repro steps? For example previously it only
turned back on when you switched to another view. Perhaps there's a
new scenario I didn't find the last time.

Also, what is the exact version number you have for Word 2002 under
Help/About. It would be something like 10.6612.6714.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Alan Russell" wrote in message
I have installed SP3 to my Office XP products and according to Office
Update I am fully up-to-date. Where is the fix you mention for Word
2002?

Alan Russell

1. Open a document. It should open in Normal View without the horizontal
scroll bar.
2. Switch to Print Preview.
3. Close Print Preview. You should return to Normal View still with no
horizontal scroll bar.
4. Close the document saving any changes.
5. Re-open the document. The horizontal scroll bar will have appeared.

My version number is 10.6612.6714.

[...]

Beth Melton

Thanks for the repro steps. Unfortunately that is another scenario we
didn't encounter the last time and I'm able to repro the issue in Word
2003 as well. A workaround would be to use an AutoOpen macro that
turns the horizontal scroll bar off each time you open a document:

Sub AutoOpen()
With ActiveWindow
.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = False
End With
End Sub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Alan Russell" wrote in message
1. Open a document. It should open in Normal View without the
horizontal scroll bar.
2. Switch to Print Preview.
3. Close Print Preview. You should return to Normal View still with
no horizontal scroll bar.
4. Close the document saving any changes.
5. Re-open the document. The horizontal scroll bar will have
appeared.

My version number is 10.6612.6714.

Beth Melton

I reviewed my bug submissions for the Office 2003 beta and I did find
I reported a similar bug, if you switch to Print Preview and then
switch to Reading Layout the horizontal scroll bar will return after
closing Reading Layout. It wasn't corrected then but they are aware of
the problem.

I can't really say when or if it will be corrected. MVPs do not work
for Microsoft. We're simply volunteers in the newsgroups and when it
comes to bug fixes and such we get this information the same time
everyone else does. :-)