Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OfficeNDN[_2_] OfficeNDN[_2_] is offline

Default Directory by department

Hello

I am trying to put together a directory using the mail merge and directory
tool in Word 2007. The list for the names would come from an excel
spreadsheet.

I would like to list employees by department. Rules would be used to list
employees of one department (for example, Education department) before going
to the next department.

I was think of something like "IF «Position_Title» EQUALS "Education" THEN"
and I am not sure what to put after that. Would it be "LIST"?

The formula could be listed each time with "Education" replaced with the new
department. The directory could just be updated in the excel spreadsheet
instead of having to type in a whole new directory each time someone gets
hired/leaves.

Also the departments have varying numbers of employees working in them so
rules would have to be made to include all of them.

I am very unaware of the rules/codes in word so if my example above is
nowhere close please forgive me.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is a lot more complicated to achieve than you might imagine - see How
to use mail merge to create a list sorted by category in Word 2002 -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294686
The principle remains true for Word 2007.

a directory? hirendra7158 Mailmerge 9 June 26th 07 03:35 PM
intra department promotion notice biodrone Microsoft Word Help 3 January 17th 07 08:07 AM
directory haliburton girl Mailmerge 5 December 16th 06 06:42 AM
welcome letters for employee transferred to new department vicky Microsoft Word Help 3 May 2nd 06 12:05 AM
human resoures department j4u Microsoft Word Help 1 May 1st 05 05:12 AM