Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default Paste Special with Hyphens

I often use the "Paste Special - Unformatted Text" option to make sure I
don't paste any unwanted styles or formatting into my documents. However, if
the text to be pasted contains non-breaking hyphens, they are pasted in as
spaces. This causes me untold grief, since all our document numbers contain
hyphens.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make non-breaking hyphens come across as
hyphens instead of spaces?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Idaho Word Man" wrote:

I often use the "Paste Special - Unformatted Text" option to make sure I
don't paste any unwanted styles or formatting into my documents. However, if
the text to be pasted contains non-breaking hyphens, they are pasted in as
spaces. This causes me untold grief, since all our document numbers contain
hyphens.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make non-breaking hyphens come across as
hyphens instead of spaces?

If you are pasting from another Word document, what I always do is
SHIFT-CTRL-N to my selection in the source document, followed by CTRL-C and
CTRL-Z. Basically, I apply the Normal Style, copy and undo the application of
the Normal Style. If you are worried about character styles as well, do
CTRL-Spacebar before the CTRL-C and then do two CTRL-Z. This will remove
character styles (but it will also remove all bold/Italic/Undereline etc.
information becasue CTRL-Spacebar resets font attributes.

Finish with a simple CTRL-V in the target document. This way, you are
pasting from Normal to Normal and not importing any unwanted styles (Which is
why I do it this way). It is very fast once you are used to it.

If you are pasting from another application or the Web, you could first
paste into a scratch document, and then do as I outline above from that
scratch document to your target document.

This should preserve all your special charaters.

paste special Colleen Page Layout 1 September 28th 07 10:39 AM
Where can I find the old "Paste Special" (Edit/Paste Special)? Jacques Microsoft Word Help 1 June 6th 06 04:24 PM
Paste Special mcp6453 Microsoft Word Help 9 April 30th 06 12:52 AM
paste special links ted medin Microsoft Word Help 0 November 16th 05 06:08 PM
What is the difference in using 'paste' and 'paste special'? butchkn Microsoft Word Help 5 February 21st 05 06:40 PM