Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Graham Wideman [Visio MVP] Graham Wideman [Visio MVP] is offline

Default Heading 1/2/3 TOC entries -- what's the secret to removing?

Folks:

1. Permanently unsetting Heading 1/2/3 TOC

We work with some docs that are assembled by copy-and-paste from other docs.

In those docs, people have used Style Heading 1, 2 and 3 for random
purposes, not needed for the Table of Contents, and in the big doc we define
our own styles which we *do* want in the TOC.

No problem using the Edit Field TOC Options to set or unset particular
styles to appear in the TOC. However, if we unset Heading 1, 2, 3 then
almost always when we later revisit that same dialog, Heading 1, 2 and 3 get
reinstated for TOC levels 1, 2 and 3.

This seems to happen only as a result of opening the Options "Table of
Contents Options" dialog, and not before.

Anyone know what mechanism might be doing this? Is it perhaps copying
settings from some normal template or something?

2. Edit Field doesn't see TOC Field?
------------------------------------
And on a related note, if I select a TOC field in a Word doc, usually the
Edit Field dialog already knows it's a TOC field and offers me a "Table of
Contents..." button leading to the "Table of Contents" dialog. At other
times the Edit Field dialog seems to think this is a Formula field and
offers a "Formula..." button. At that point you have to respecify that this
is a TOC and not a formula. This doesn't seem right.

Anyone seen this or know why this happens?

Word 2003 SP2

Thanks,

Graham