Barbara White

Default Word->HTML w/o XML markup?

Using Word XP on Windows XP.

Is there a way to get .html markup from a Word file without all of
the XML language? I like the way doc-html worked in Office 97. When
Office 2000 came out, they changed things and now what could be
simple HTML output is cluttered with tons of XML. Is there a way to
save a file w/o the XML markup?
Chuck Davis

"Barbara White" wrote:

Using Word XP on Windows XP.

Is there a way to get .html markup from a Word file without all of
the XML language? I like the way doc-html worked in Office 97. When
Office 2000 came out, they changed things and now what could be
simple HTML output is cluttered with tons of XML. Is there a way to
save a file w/o the XML markup?

No. It's time to buy the right tool for the job. I suggest FrontPage. If you
do make the transition, before you copy and paste from you work that exists
in Word, paste into Notepad first to clear all formatting. Then copy from
Notepad to FrontPage.
Barbara White

I have both FrontPage and Dreamweaver, and use it frequently.
However, when we have a Word document that needs to be converted to
HTML, then we must first convert it to HTML before we can use either
of those tools (FrontPage or DW) to adjust the HTML, right? If I'm
missing something there, though, please let me know.

Thanks.
Barbara

Chuck Davis wrote:

"Barbara White" wrote:

Using Word XP on Windows XP.

Is there a way to get .html markup from a Word file without all of
the XML language? I like the way doc-html worked in Office 97. When
Office 2000 came out, they changed things and now what could be
simple HTML output is cluttered with tons of XML. Is there a way to
save a file w/o the XML markup?

No. It's time to buy the right tool for the job. I suggest FrontPage. If you
do make the transition, before you copy and paste from you work that exists
in Word, paste into Notepad first to clear all formatting. Then copy from
Notepad to FrontPage.

Barbara White

Thanks so much for that information. I'll try it (though I seem to
remember that the HTML Cleaner didn't work when I used it the last
time. I was using it on Word/Windows 2000, so maybe using it on
Word/Windows XP will make a difference). Thank you...

Is there a way to get .html markup from a Word file without all of the XML
language? I like the way doc-html worked in Office 97. When Office 2000
came out, they changed things and now what could be simple HTML output is
cluttered with tons of XML. Is there a way to save a file w/o the XML
markup?

A beginning is to turn off both VML, PNG and XML in the Word Web Options.
Then use the HTML Cleaner.
Here's a URL which provides some other info as well:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?HTML_produced_by_Word

lostinspace

Chuck Davis wrote:

"Barbara White" wrote:

Using Word XP on Windows XP.

Is there a way to get .html markup from a Word file without all of the
XML language? I like the way doc-html worked in Office 97. When Office
2000 came out, they changed things and now what could be simple HTML
output is cluttered with tons of XML. Is there a way to save a file w/o
the XML markup?

No. It's time to buy the right tool for the job. I suggest FrontPage. If
you do make the transition, before you copy and paste from you work that
exists in Word, paste into Notepad first to clear all formatting. Then
copy from Notepad to FrontPage.

"However, when we have a Word document that needs to be converted to
HTML, then we must first convert it to HTML before we can use either
of those tools (FrontPage or DW) to adjust the HTML, right? If I'm
missing something there, though, please let me know."

No you do NOT use Word to create HTML.
As Chuck previously advised;
" 1) copy and paste into Notepad first to clear all formatting.
2)Then copy from Notepad to FrontPage. (or DW)."

These steps remove ALL formatting of ANY type.
You then use either FP or DW to establish new formatting.

Barbara White

No you do NOT use Word to create HTML.
As Chuck previously advised;
" 1) copy and paste into Notepad first to clear all formatting.
2)Then copy from Notepad to FrontPage. (or DW)."

These steps remove ALL formatting of ANY type.
You then use either FP or DW to establish new formatting.

I think I'd rather deal with Word's "Save as HTML" and then fiddle
around with the XML than to do this. (I often have to convert
500-600-page reports with fairly detailed formatting, equations,
graphics, etc. I've been using Word to convert to HTML for several
years (and Word 97 was the BEST) but the recent versions just add
too much garbage to the output. (I usually convert from Word to HTML
and then clean it up with a plain text editor or with DW.)

Thanks for your suggestions, but I couldn't really do a
clear/formatting sort of thing for these projects...

How can I divide a page into three sections? Bonnie Microsoft Word Help 3 May 8th 23 02:47 AM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 03:01 AM
saving the workspace Mike Microsoft Word Help 3 December 8th 04 11:32 PM
How can I turn off the "showing markup" in Word? Anne G. Microsoft Word Help 1 December 4th 04 01:15 AM