Henry K

Default Multilanguage Support

I am a freelance editor using Windows 95. I have Word 2000 installed (from a
Microsoft upgrade CD-Rom SR-1). A new client has sent me Word documents that
require Central European diacriticals (e.g., Polish slashed "el"; Romanian
"tee" with cedilla). When I downloaded them, I saw rectangles instead of
actual accented letters. A check of the symbols chart revealed no such
characters under any of the "Latin" options. I have tried unsuccessfully to
install these missing letters/diacritics from the same CD-Rom. Is there a
Microsoft website where I can download the Central European language
component?
Klaus Linke

Hi Henry,

Probably you don't have the font(s) that the author used, and Word is
substituting a font that does not have the necessary characters.

Look in "Tools Options Compatibility Font substitution", and try Arial or
Times New Roman for the missing font.

You'll only see the characters in "Insert Symbol" if the font has those
symbols. You can then find them in the subset "Latin Extended-A".

Regards,
Klaus