Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AngieM AngieM is offline

Default Importing Excel Object

In Word 2003, when I insert an Excel file as an object (linked), the
formatting gets messed up. (For instance, there is double underlining that
shows up as a single underline, and the font is not correct.) Is there any
way to keep the formatting intact? Also, in order to get the Excel file to
fit on the page, after I insert the object I have to "find" it because it is
hidden, then right click and format (layout, behind text & center, advanced,
alignment, centered to page). Is there any way to make this a permanent
setting in Word? I tried looking in Options but couldn't find anything.
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?QW5naWVN?=,

In Word 2003, when I insert an Excel file as an object (linked), the
formatting gets messed up. (For instance, there is double underlining that
shows up as a single underline, and the font is not correct.) Is there any
way to keep the formatting intact? Also, in order to get the Excel file to
fit on the page, after I insert the object I have to "find" it because it is
hidden, then right click and format (layout, behind text & center, advanced,
alignment, centered to page). Is there any way to make this a permanent
setting in Word? I tried looking in Options but couldn't find anything.

The last question first because the answer is simplest: No, there's nothing
automatic you can set. Possibly, you could use a macro to do the
paste-and-format.

I take it you're going over Edit/Paste Special to bring in the object? Can you
describe how the font "is not correct"? Is this a special font of some kind?

If you - as a test - paste link as HTML (then as RTF) is the result any better,
as far as the formatting problems are concerned?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)