Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Default How do I insert cross-reference in form

I am using MS Word 2002. I have created a form template using the forms
toolbar and text fields. When a user completes the form and puts text in a
particular text form field, I would like the same text to automatically
appear in the document header.

I made the form field a heading and tried to insert a cross-reference to the
heading text in the document header, but since the form template text field
is blank, there is nothing to cross-reference.

Thanks in advance for your help! Carol
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?Q2Fyb2w=?=,

I am using MS Word 2002. I have created a form template using the forms
toolbar and text fields. When a user completes the form and puts text in a
particular text form field, I would like the same text to automatically
appear in the document header.

I made the form field a heading and tried to insert a cross-reference to the
heading text in the document header, but since the form template text field
is blank, there is nothing to cross-reference.

That shouldn't matter, as long as the "Calculate on Exit" checkbox is activated
in the form field. Try protecting the document, type something in, then TAB out
of the form field. Does the text now appear in the header?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

I found what you wrote about, but I need to take a step back because I don't
know how to actually insert the cross-reference in the document header when
the form text field is still blank (i.e. no one has actually completed the
form - the text field is blank.)

Is there a way to reference a blank text form field in a form so that I can
refer to it when I cross-reference it?

When I click Insert/Reference/Cross-reference/ and it displays a daughter
window, I then select "Heading" in the "Reference Type" box and "Heading
Text" in the "Insert Reference To" box. In the big box below, nothing
appears so the heading does not appear, and the "Insert" button below the big
box is grayed out.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help. ~C

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2Fyb2w=?=,

I am using MS Word 2002. I have created a form template using the forms
toolbar and text fields. When a user completes the form and puts text in a
particular text form field, I would like the same text to automatically
appear in the document header.

I made the form field a heading and tried to insert a cross-reference to the
heading text in the document header, but since the form template text field
is blank, there is nothing to cross-reference.

That shouldn't matter, as long as the "Calculate on Exit" checkbox is activated
in the form field. Try protecting the document, type something in, then TAB out
of the form field. Does the text now appear in the header?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Use a StyleRef field and a special character style.
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Carol" wrote in message
I am using MS Word 2002. I have created a form template using the forms
toolbar and text fields. When a user completes the form and puts text in a
particular text form field, I would like the same text to automatically
appear in the document header.

I made the form field a heading and tried to insert a cross-reference to
the
heading text in the document header, but since the form template text
field
is blank, there is nothing to cross-reference.

Thanks in advance for your help! Carol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Carol,

I found what you wrote about, but I need to take a step back because I don't
know how to actually insert the cross-reference in the document header when
the form text field is still blank (i.e. no one has actually completed the
form - the text field is blank.)

Is there a way to reference a blank text form field in a form so that I can
refer to it when I cross-reference it?

When I click Insert/Reference/Cross-reference/ and it displays a daughter
window, I then select "Heading" in the "Reference Type" box and "Heading
Text" in the "Insert Reference To" box. In the big box below, nothing
appears so the heading does not appear, and the "Insert" button below the big
box is grayed out.

Ah, right. Set the cross-reference to the form field name. That's actually a
bookmark and should be in the list, even if there's no text in the form field.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Cross-references in the headers of protected forms do not update
automatically; a macro is required to update them. A StyleRef field is a
better choice; see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

"Carol" wrote in message
I am using MS Word 2002. I have created a form template using the forms
toolbar and text fields. When a user completes the form and puts text in a
particular text form field, I would like the same text to automatically
appear in the document header.

I made the form field a heading and tried to insert a cross-reference to

the
heading text in the document header, but since the form template text

field
is blank, there is nothing to cross-reference.

Thanks in advance for your help! Carol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Often the Ref field does not work that well in the header of a protected
form, but the StyleRef field will.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Carol,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Well, I'm getting closer to this working, but am not quite there yet. I now
can create the header with the cross-referenced bookmark, but I can't get it
to automatically update in a locked form. I can manually get the bookmark in
the header to update in an unlocked form (I checked the box to auto calc. on
exit), but I will be locking the form template so that users won't change the
template. Any thoughts? I can't expect the users to do anything more
complicated then click, type and save. Any thoughts? thanks~C

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Carol,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Charles, not sure how to change the field designator when I used the forms
toolbar to insert the text field. Also, please see my last reply to Cindy's
posting - still having problems getting it to automatically update...Thanks~C

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Suzanne, I will try your linked suggestion later tonight - it describes what
I am trying to do - thanks! ~Carol