Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

Default Format Painter Creating Unwanted Changes

I've got many numbered headings that I'm trying to format, abut six different
number levels. When I use the format painter, the format of the "to" text
takes on the format of the "from" text," as I intended, but the format of
the "from" text changes. Can anybody tell me how to stop the format of the
"from" text from changing when I use the format painter. Further, even
through the "to" and "from" text have the same style, the actual format of
the style differs in the "to" and "from" text. I thought styles were fixed.

If it matters, I've turned off all of the autoformat and autorcorrect
features I could find, but this did not help.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?VGlt?=,

I've got many numbered headings that I'm trying to format, abut six different
number levels. When I use the format painter, the format of the "to" text
takes on the format of the "from" text," as I intended, but the format of
the "from" text changes. Can anybody tell me how to stop the format of the
"from" text from changing when I use the format painter. Further, even
through the "to" and "from" text have the same style, the actual format of
the style differs in the "to" and "from" text. I thought styles were fixed.

I'm a bit confused...

1. Which version of Word are we dealing with?

2. HOW does the formatting of the "from" text change?

3. If the "from" and "to" text are formatted with the same style, shouldn't they
already be formatted identically? What kind of formatting are you trying to
copy, then?

If you (before using the format painter) select "from" and "to", then press
Ctrl+Q followed by Ctrl+Spacebar, does the format of both now match? (This
removes any formatting applied over the style.) And is this the formatting you
want to see for them both?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org