Rebecca W

Default why does my heading 1 have (symbol) next to style name?

I modified the Heading 1 style to use a different font (City Blueprint) and
expanded the font so it would look better. Now my style is coming up with
this (symbol) identification next to the style name and the text is coming up
as little boxes in my TOC. I know it has something to do with the font,
because after changing my Heading 2 style to the City Blueprint font, it also
ended up with the (symbol) identification next to the style name (at which
time I immediately clicked the "undo" button, lol). Unfortunately, even
after changing the font to something boring like Arial on my Heading 1, it
doesn't seem to get rid of the (symbol) terminology or the little boxes in my
TOC. I really did want to use the City Blueprint font for my Heading 1
style, however, it doesn't look like that will be an option for me. Any help
or advice would be greatly appreciated. It seems that in Microsoft's
attempts to make Word a better software, it's only gotten so unbelievably
hard to use!
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UmViZWNjYSBX?=,

I'm not familiar with the font you mention; it may, indeed, be a symbol font
(the creator forgot to remove that, perhaps?) and therefore be unsuited for text
in a Word document. You might get more information on that in the
word.printingfonts newsgroup.

As to cleaning things up, again: What happens if you recreate the TOC in your
document? Or copy/paste the text - without the last paragraph mark - into a new
document and create the TOC there?

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org