Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
R_Wade R_Wade is offline

Default No symbol option

I'm using Word 2003, and I don't have the Symbol option under Insert. What do
I do to make that option available?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You probably accidentally removed it (Ctrl+Alt+Dash activates a Remove Menu
feature so that the next item you click is removed; people often
accidentally do this when searching for a dash variation... then
accidentally remove the very next command they click on).

To restore it, choose Tools - Customize - Toolbars tab. In the list of
Toolbars:, click on the one named Menu Bar so that it is selected. Then
click on Reset.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"R_Wade" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003, and I don't have the Symbol option under Insert. What
do
I do to make that option available?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Reset can be dangerous if your toolbars/menus are customized. It is
preferable to add the command back as described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oreMenuCmd.htm

"R_Wade" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003, and I don't have the Symbol option under Insert.
What do
I do to make that option available?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're right, of course. But, when this kind of issue comes up, I usually
assume that the user has not deliberately customized... otherwise, they
would probably already be familiar with how to get the lost item back. :-)

--

"R_Wade" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003, and I don't have the Symbol option under Insert.
What do
I do to make that option available?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I expect you're right, though I find that the "lost symbol" issue is a
special case because even fairly sophisticate users usually have no clue how
it happened. They use a shortcut to (they think) insert a symbol, and bam!
the menu item is gone (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm).