Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy G Amy G is offline

Default Templates and Shortcut Keys

I have created a template and added shortcut keys for several styles. I
notice that the shortcuts seem to be attached to the template's file name. I
want to create additional templates based on the original, making only minor
changes. When I save the new template with a new file name, the shortcuts
disappear. Is there a way to keep the shortcuts when doing a "Save As" of a
template? Should I use a macro add the shortcuts to the additional templates?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of saving the template with a new filename, try this: in the New
dialog, select your template and choose Template as the type of file to
create. Your shortcut keys should then be saved in the newly created
template (I think).

"Amy G" Amy wrote in message
I have created a template and added shortcut keys for several styles. I
notice that the shortcuts seem to be attached to the template's file name.
want to create additional templates based on the original, making only
minor
changes. When I save the new template with a new file name, the shortcuts
disappear. Is there a way to keep the shortcuts when doing a "Save As" of
template? Should I use a macro add the shortcuts to the additional
templates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy G[_2_] Amy G[_2_] is offline

Thanks Suzanne! I never noticed that option before. I always just accepted
the default (document).

"Amy G" Amy wrote in message
I have created a template and added shortcut keys for several styles. I
notice that the shortcuts seem to be attached to the template's file name.
want to create additional templates based on the original, making only
minor
changes. When I save the new template with a new file name, the shortcuts
disappear. Is there a way to keep the shortcuts when doing a "Save As" of
template? Should I use a macro add the shortcuts to the additional
templates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Let us know if that worked for you, as I wasn't confident in the answer! I
do know that there are differences between starting with a template from
scratch and deciding later to save a document as a template, but in most
versions, if you have a template open and Save As, the default file format
is .dot, so I'd expect that to preserve the contents of the original
template. Of course, if you were using Save As and somehow saved as .doc
instead of .dot, then that would explain the problem.

"Amy G" Amy wrote in message
I have created a template and added shortcut keys for several styles. I
notice that the shortcuts seem to be attached to the template's file
name.
want to create additional templates based on the original, making only
minor
changes. When I save the new template with a new file name, the
shortcuts
disappear. Is there a way to keep the shortcuts when doing a "Save As"
of
template? Should I use a macro add the shortcuts to the additional
templates?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy G[_2_] Amy G[_2_] is offline

Your suggestion worked great! When we go to create a new template, we just
make sure to select "Template" instead of the default and the shortcuts are
brought over to the new template. I was worried that we would have to
manually assign all 20-25 shortcuts...now we don't!