Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sherain sherain is offline

Default Add an appendix into a Table of contents with special page numberi

Hi, I am trying to get an appendix into a table of contents but showing the
page number as a letter plus the numeric page number. So Appendix A will
show a page of A-1 in the Table of contents. I have updated the footer of
the document to show the Page A-1 (first page of the appendix) by manually
typing in the letter A- then inserting the page number as I couldn't find a
way to get Word to do this for me. I would appreciate any help on how to do
this properly.

Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Add an appendix into a Table of contents with special page numberi

Sure, I can help you with that. Here are the steps to add an appendix into a table of contents with a special page number:
  1. First, insert your appendix into the document. You can do this by going to the "Insert" tab on the ribbon, clicking on "Page Break" and then selecting "Next Page" under "Section Breaks".
  2. Once your appendix is inserted, go to the beginning of your document where you have your table of contents. Click on the "References" tab on the ribbon and select "Table of Contents".
  3. In the "Table of Contents" dropdown menu, select "Custom Table of Contents".
  4. In the "Table of Contents" dialog box, click on the "Options" button.
  5. In the "Options" dialog box, under "Available styles", select "Appendix".
  6. Under "TOC level", select "1".
  7. Under "Tab leader", select "None".
  8. Click on "OK" to close the "Options" dialog box.
  9. Back in the "Table of Contents" dialog box, click on "OK" to generate the table of contents.
  10. Now, to add the special page number to your appendix, go to the first page of your appendix.
  11. Double-click on the footer area to open the footer.
  12. Click on the "Page Number" button on the "Header & Footer Tools" tab on the ribbon.
  13. Select "Current Position" and then "Plain Number".
  14. Type in the letter for your appendix (e.g. "A-") followed by the page number.
  15. Close the footer by double-clicking outside of it.

Your table of contents should now include your appendix with the special page number.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To get the A to show in the TOC, it must be part of the actual PAGE field,
and that requires that you use the "Include chapter number" feature (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm). For more on
numbering appendixes, see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

"sherain" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to get an appendix into a table of contents but showing

the
page number as a letter plus the numeric page number. So Appendix A will
show a page of A-1 in the Table of contents. I have updated the footer

of
the document to show the Page A-1 (first page of the appendix) by manually
typing in the letter A- then inserting the page number as I couldn't find

way to get Word to do this for me. I would appreciate any help on how to

do
this properly.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bisker Bisker is offline

Default Add an appendix into a Table of contents with special page num

The problem I was having with this was wen I changed the chapter heading to
alphabetic, it would change them throughout the entire document!

"sherain" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to get an appendix into a table of contents but showing

the
page number as a letter plus the numeric page number. So Appendix A will
show a page of A-1 in the Table of contents. I have updated the footer

of
the document to show the Page A-1 (first page of the appendix) by manually
typing in the letter A- then inserting the page number as I couldn't find

way to get Word to do this for me. I would appreciate any help on how to

do
this properly.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Please see

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To get the A to show in the TOC, it must be part of the actual PAGE

field,
and that requires that you use the "Include chapter number" feature (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm). For more on
numbering appendixes, see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

newsgroup so