Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lori S[_2_] Lori S[_2_] is offline

Default Protecting document & section breaks

I have a Word document and I want to protect most of it from being changed.
I only want people to be able to insert their logo and some text in a certain
area. I've figured out how to do this by inserting continuous section breaks
and then protecting all of the sections except the part I want them to change.

My problem is this...My document has 2 columns. I only want them to be able
to change a small section of the 2nd column. If I insert a continuous
section break within the column, it automatically moves everything after that
section break to a new page. Is there a way to insert a continuous section
break within a column and have the text continue in that same column? I've
also tried doing this by creating a 2 column table. But if I insert a
section break within the table, the section break just goes above the table,
not inside it. Help!

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TG9yaSBT?=,

The only way I've ever been able to find is to:

Create the unprotected section, either above or below where you want the
columns, but it must be on the same page as the columns.

With the blinking cursor in a paragraph in that section, insert a FRAME (also in
the forms toolbar). Right-click the frame and choose the Format command. LOCK
the frame (so that it stays anchored to the paragraph in the unprotected
section). Set the text wraps so that it flows around the frame.

Now move the frame so that it is positioned within the protected columns.
Because it's anchored to an unprotected section there it should be editable.

Alternately, insert a form field (or, if this is 2007 a content control) into
the protected text.

I have a Word document and I want to protect most of it from being changed.
I only want people to be able to insert their logo and some text in a certain
area. I've figured out how to do this by inserting continuous section breaks
and then protecting all of the sections except the part I want them to change.

My problem is this...My document has 2 columns. I only want them to be able
to change a small section of the 2nd column. If I insert a continuous
section break within the column, it automatically moves everything after that
section break to a new page. Is there a way to insert a continuous section
break within a column and have the text continue in that same column? I've
also tried doing this by creating a 2 column table. But if I insert a
section break within the table, the section break just goes above the table,
not inside it. Help!

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lori S Lori S is offline

WOW - This worked! Thank you so much for your help. I must have tried 18
different ways to go about this but your way worked. Thank you!!!