Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bsbm525 bsbm525 is offline

Default Autocorrect Options

Hello,
I'm using Word 2002 & just copied & pasted my normal.dot to another computer
with Word 2002 but my custom Autocorrect entries do not appear. Are the
custom entries not saved in the normal.dot? Is there a way to transfer this
without manually typing them back in?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

bsbm525 wrote:
Hello,
I'm using Word 2002 & just copied & pasted my normal.dot to another
computer with Word 2002 but my custom Autocorrect entries do not
appear. Are the custom entries not saved in the normal.dot? Is
there a way to transfer this without manually typing them back in?

Thank you.

Only AutoCorrect entries that were stored as formatted entries are in
Normal.dot. The others are stored in one or more .acl files, one for each
language.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...utocorrect.htm for a
download you can use to export the entries from one computer and import them
on another computer.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bsbm525 bsbm525 is offline

I found 3 'mso.acl' files in the following 3 folders:

c:\program files\microsoft office\office10\1033\, \1036\ & \3082\

I copied each ACL file from the old computer to the new computer into their
respective folders but nothing changed. I exited Word & Outlook prior to
doing so but no change.

Is there a step I am missing that I should have done?

Thanks....

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

bsbm525 wrote:
Hello,
I'm using Word 2002 & just copied & pasted my normal.dot to another
computer with Word 2002 but my custom Autocorrect entries do not
appear. Are the custom entries not saved in the normal.dot? Is
there a way to transfer this without manually typing them back in?

Thank you.

Only AutoCorrect entries that were stored as formatted entries are in
Normal.dot. The others are stored in one or more .acl files, one for each
language.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...utocorrect.htm for a
download you can use to export the entries from one computer and import them
on another computer.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It isn't so much a missing step as a misunderstanding of where to look. The
files you found are the ones the Office installer creates as defaults (as
should be obvious from the files' dates), but they aren't directly used by
the programs. Instead, as you add AutoCorrect entries, the programs create
working files in the hidden folder %appdata%\Microsoft\Office with names
such as MSO1033.acl. Those are the ones that you need to copy from one
computer to another -- or use the export/import method that I mentioned
before.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

bsbm525 wrote:
Hello,
I'm using Word 2002 & just copied & pasted my normal.dot to another
computer with Word 2002 but my custom Autocorrect entries do not
appear. Are the custom entries not saved in the normal.dot? Is
there a way to transfer this without manually typing them back in?

Thank you.

Only AutoCorrect entries that were stored as formatted entries are in
Normal.dot. The others are stored in one or more .acl files, one for
each language.

See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...utocorrect.htm
for a download you can use to export the entries from one computer
and import them on another computer.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bsbm525 bsbm525 is offline

I ran a search for '*.acl' & the 3 'mso.acl' files were the only ones found.
I resolved the issue using KB269006.

Thanks for you assistance.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

bsbm525 wrote:
Hello,
I'm using Word 2002 & just copied & pasted my normal.dot to another
computer with Word 2002 but my custom Autocorrect entries do not
appear. Are the custom entries not saved in the normal.dot? Is
there a way to transfer this without manually typing them back in?

Thank you.

Only AutoCorrect entries that were stored as formatted entries are in
Normal.dot. The others are stored in one or more .acl files, one for
each language.

See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...utocorrect.htm
for a download you can use to export the entries from one computer
and import them on another computer.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The search facility never finds any files in hidden folders (and I did tell
you that the necessary files are in a hidden folder) unless you change a
setting in Windows Explorer to tell it to display hidden folders and files.
If you enter the path %appdata%\Microsoft\Office in the address bar of
Windows Explorer and press Enter, you will see the files.

I'm glad you were able to move your entries, and I hope everything is now
working. For anyone else reading this, the Support macro described in the KB
article may not do the job, depending on what's in your AutoCorrect entries.
As the article
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...utocorrect.htm explains,
"the Microsoft utilities don't cater for AutoCorrect entries that consist of
multiple paragraphs, or that contain tables; and if either are encountered,
the macro will fail to complete." The version you can download from that
article doesn't have this restriction.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman