Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
themetapoet themetapoet is offline

Default Autofill form fields from dropdown menus in Word 2007

Hi

I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill another field
with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user makes
on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me how to do
this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't really
know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could anyone
break it down for me?

Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NAS NAS is offline

Sounds like you are talking about Access. This newsgroup is about Microsoft
Word. Please repost your question in the appropriate newsgroup and I'm sure
they will be happy to help.

"themetapoet" wrote:

Hi

I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill another field
with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user makes
on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me how to do
this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't really
know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could anyone
break it down for me?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Don't use a second form field for the second occurrence. Instead use a REF
field to reference the bookmark assigned to the dropdown form field. Make
sure that "Calculate on exit" is checked in the Form Field Options for the
dropdown field. You can use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to insert
the REF field, selecting "Bookmark" as the reference type and "Bookmark
text" under "Insert reference to."

http://word.mvps.org

"themetapoet" wrote in message
Hi

I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill another
field
with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user
makes
on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me how to
do
this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't
really
know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could
anyone
break it down for me?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a ref field to call the bookmark name of the dropdown field and check
the calculate on exit check box of the dropdown field properties. eg
{ Ref Dropdown1 \*charformat }
You will not need a macro unless the ref field is placed in the page header
or in a text box.

"themetapoet" wrote:

Hi

I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill
another field with the value (not the display name) of whichever
selection the user makes on the dropdown menu. I can't find
anything in help which tells me how to do this and although I've
found some references on other forums, I don't really know anything
about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could anyone
break it down for me?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Oops - I didn't see this branch of the thread before replying

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Don't use a second form field for the second occurrence. Instead use
a REF field to reference the bookmark assigned to the dropdown form
field. Make sure that "Calculate on exit" is checked in the Form
Field Options for the dropdown field. You can use Insert | Reference
| Cross-reference to insert the REF field, selecting "Bookmark" as
the reference type and "Bookmark text" under "Insert reference to."

"themetapoet" wrote in message
Hi

I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill
another field
with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user
makes
on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me
how to do
this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't
really
know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could
anyone
break it down for me?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, if you didn't see it, the OP might not, either (one reason why I tend
to be wary of replying to the initial post after a long thread has
developed). I just hope the OP will see one or the other of our answers.

http://word.mvps.org