Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan Ryan is offline

Default Change Word 2003 Workgroup Templates Location?

I am trying to change the location of the workgroup templates location within
Word 2003. Whenever I change it through Tools | Options | File Locations, I
lets me browse, find the folder, say OK, then goes back to the File Locations
window and nothing changes! I've tried changing it in the registry, and
through GPO, it always stays at the default location. I have even tried
deleting the SharedPaths String Value, and go in to Word and it's STILL
showing the default location (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates)
What gives? This is for a Citrix environment, and my problem is that the
custom templates won't load properly when multiple users log in, because of
sharing violations. The first user that logs in to the server loads them all
fine, then subsequent users don't. My idea was to redirect the three
template folders, User, Workgroup and Startup, to folders on the network for
each user so that wouldn't happen. Not the most elegant, I know, but I have
yet to come up with a better solution. The only problem is that this
Workgroup folder setting won't change! Any help or suggestions are much
appreciated!

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com is offline

The problem is probably Citrix and some setting within that environment
that's controlling these paths. The change will probably have to be made on
the server rather than from the end-user side. Ask your Citrix engineer to
look into the problem.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
membership required!

"Ryan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan Ryan is offline

Thanks for the reply. I am the Citrix engineer. So far no one in the Citrix
world seems to have an idea, because no one replies to my posts. Any other
ideas? Thanks!

"Ryan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com is offline

Sorry Ryan. Not at the moment. But I may be going to see a client at a Citrix
site next week. I'll have a quiet word with one of their engineers if I get
the chance.
--

"Ryan" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

By default there is no Workgroup Template folder defined in Word 2003 - nor
associated key stored in the registry. The implications therefore are that
you are trying to change the wrong key or have made the wrong registry entry
or that you don't have the necessary permissions to make the changes.

The correct key is user based in the registry path

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\General

The key in question is an Expandable string value called 'Shared Templates'
which should contain the path of the location (including a network path) of
the required location.

The following macro will create the required entry for Word 2003:

Sub CreateWorkGroupRegEntry()
Dim WSHShell, RegKey, rKeyWord, wVer
Dim fDialog As FileDialog
Dim strPath As String
Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set fDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
wVer = Application.Version
If wVer 11 Then
MsgBox "This macro is for Word 2003 only!", vbOKOnly, "Wrong Word
Version"
Exit Sub
End If
With fDialog
.Title = "Select WorkGroup folder and click OK"
.AllowMultiSelect = False
.InitialView = msoFileDialogViewList
If .Show -1 Then
MsgBox "Cancelled By User", , _
"List Folder Contents"
Exit Sub
End If
strPath = fDialog.SelectedItems.Item(1)
End With
RegKey = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\ Common\General\"
WSHShell.regwrite RegKey & "Shared Templates", strPath, "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
End Sub