cwr

Default mail merge when not all fields populated

I did a mail merge from an excel spreadsheet.
Had first name, middle name and last name.
Not all of the entries had a middle name, so there was an
extra space between first name and last name.
Is there any way to set it up so that if the entries that have
no middle name have only one space between first name and middle name?

Thanks
GTS

"cwr" wrote in message
news
I did a mail merge from an excel spreadsheet.
Had first name, middle name and last name.
Not all of the entries had a middle name, so there was an
extra space between first name and last name.
Is there any way to set it up so that if the entries that have
no middle name have only one space between first name and middle name?

Thanks

You could use an IF statement for the midde name:
{ MERGEFIELD "FORENAME" }{ IF MERGEFIELD MIDDLENAME "" " {MERGEFIELD
MIDDLENAME" } { MERGEFIELD "SURNAME" }
There is a space before the middle name that will only show if there is a
middle name - I'm sure there must be an easier way but can't think how :-)
Graham

Peter Jamieson

I'm sure there must be an easier way but can't think how :-)

:-) Other than creating the field you need in the data source itself, which
may or may not be easy depending on the source, there isn't an easier way.

Peter Jamieson
"GTS" wrote in message

news