Jackie D

Default Keyboard problem

Hi

I have assigned special characters in Word 2000 to the F keys on my keyboard
(em dash and en dash) but when I go back to a particular F key to use the
special character again, it either default back to the original assignment
(F12 becomes Save As) or disappears altogether.

I have a Microsoft Natrual Multimedia 1.0 A keyboard.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

--

Many thanks
JD

Do you have control over your Normal.dot? If not (that is, if you are on a
network where Normal.dot is in a common network folder or is replaced at
startup), then you will need to save your keyboard customizations in another
template that you load at startup. If you do have control over Normal.dot
and are prompted to save it when you quit Word, then you need to answer yes
to assure that these keyboard shortcuts are saved.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

I have assigned special characters in Word 2000 to the F keys on my

keyboard
(em dash and en dash) but when I go back to a particular F key to use the
special character again, it either default back to the original assignment
(F12 becomes Save As) or disappears altogether.

I have a Microsoft Natrual Multimedia 1.0 A keyboard.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D

Hi Suzanne

Yes I do have control over my normal.dot template.

But something has just occurred to me. If I had put the keyboard shortcuts
into a template I've created, will they only appear in that particular
template? For instance, I have one I call 'research' and that is where I set
up the keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

I have assigned special characters in Word 2000 to the F keys on my

keyboard
(em dash and en dash) but when I go back to a particular F key to use the
special character again, it either default back to the original assignment
(F12 becomes Save As) or disappears altogether.

I have a Microsoft Natrual Multimedia 1.0 A keyboard.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

--

Many thanks
JD

If you saved the keyboard shortcuts in that particular template (which you
would have to have done intentionally because all customizations are saved
to Normal.dot by default), then yes, they'll work only in documents based on
that template.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have control over your Normal.dot? If not (that is, if you are on

network where Normal.dot is in a common network folder or is replaced at
startup), then you will need to save your keyboard customizations in

another
template that you load at startup. If you do have control over

Normal.dot
and are prompted to save it when you quit Word, then you need to answer

yes
to assure that these keyboard shortcuts are saved.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

I have assigned special characters in Word 2000 to the F keys on my

keyboard
(em dash and en dash) but when I go back to a particular F key to use

the
special character again, it either default back to the original

assignment
(F12 becomes Save As) or disappears altogether.

I have a Microsoft Natrual Multimedia 1.0 A keyboard.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

--

Many thanks
JD

And I should have added that they'll work in documents based on that
template only if that template is available. That is, if you send the
documents to someone else who doesn't have the template, the recipient won't
be able to use the shortcuts.