Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DennisM

Default Insert multiple text files in microsoft word

I find that when I try to insert multiple text files into Word, the files are
not inserted in the correct order. For example, I do insertfile then browse
to the location of the text files. I use the shift key to select eight files
I want. The last file selected is inserted first.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ERR229

Dennis,

That's a function of Windows not Word. Files are opened in the reverse order
of selection. So, when you are inserting, select for insertion, select in the
reverse order (the file you wast to be inserted last should be the first you
select).
--
ERR229

"DennisM" wrote:

I find that when I try to insert multiple text files into Word, the files are
not inserted in the correct order. For example, I do insertfile then browse
to the location of the text files. I use the shift key to select eight files
I want. The last file selected is inserted first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Also, if the files are not listed in consecutive order, click to select one,
then use the Ctrl key (instead of Shift) while you click the rest.

Regards |:)

"DennisM" wrote:

I find that when I try to insert multiple text files into Word, the files are
not inserted in the correct order. For example, I do insertfile then browse
to the location of the text files. I use the shift key to select eight files
I want. The last file selected is inserted first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DennisM

The reverse selection procedure works but using control and selecting each
file in correct order results in all files in correct order except last comes
first. 1st is second, second is third, etc. Same as clicking first one then
shift and last one.

"DennisM" wrote:

I find that when I try to insert multiple text files into Word, the files are
not inserted in the correct order. For example, I do insertfile then browse
to the location of the text files. I use the shift key to select eight files
I want. The last file selected is inserted first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Grab boiler.zip from my web site. http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm
The add-in it contains will insert the files in any order you want.

DennisM wrote:
I find that when I try to insert multiple text files into Word, the
files are not inserted in the correct order. For example, I do
insertfile then browse to the location of the text files. I use the
shift key to select eight files I want. The last file selected is
inserted first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DennisM

I was not able to edit the macro, but thanks.
This selection problem seems like a Windows bug. I wonder if it may be fixed
at some point.

DennisM wrote:
I find that when I try to insert multiple text files into Word, the
files are not inserted in the correct order. For example, I do
insertfile then browse to the location of the text files. I use the
shift key to select eight files I want. The last file selected is
inserted first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you e-mail me via my web site with the name of the folder you want you
use I will send you a revised version of the macro.
The isue has always been present in Windows. Whether it will be fixed in the
next planned Windows version we will have to wait and see.

DennisM wrote:
I find that when I try to insert multiple text files into Word, the
files are not inserted in the correct order. For example, I do
insertfile then browse to the location of the text files. I use the
shift key to select eight files I want. The last file selected is
inserted first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
A Kidner

Try the free download at www.doc-u-merge.co.uk it is an animated document
joining program with a sorting facility. It should make life easy for you.