Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gfmc

Default searching for a word in multiple files

I'm an old WP user and with that, could search for a particular word in
multiple files at one time. I have both word 97 and 2003 and know how to
search a single file. Can multiple files be searched at a time without
opening them??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Use the Windows Explorer Search function (Start Search, or right-click the
folder in Explorer and select Search). Enter the word or phrase and, if you
want, specify the types of document you want to search in.

"gfmc" wrote in message
I'm an old WP user and with that, could search for a particular word in
multiple files at one time. I have both word 97 and 2003 and know how to
search a single file. Can multiple files be searched at a time without
opening them??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gfmc

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Is there a shortcut/way to do that easily will in Word?
I can't tell you how something so "simple" has really helped me...

"gfmc" wrote in message
I'm an old WP user and with that, could search for a particular word in
multiple files at one time. I have both word 97 and 2003 and know how to
search a single file. Can multiple files be searched at a time without
opening them??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

If you display the File dialog in Word (eg File Open or File SaveAs) you
are actually seeing Windows Explorer -- so you can use right-click Search
in the same way.

"gfmc" wrote in message
I'm an old WP user and with that, could search for a particular word in
multiple files at one time. I have both word 97 and 2003 and know how
search a single file. Can multiple files be searched at a time without
opening them??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gfmc

THANKS ( :

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jcrinnz jcrinnz is offline

I have tried using the 'Search' command under the 'Start' menu but don't see
anywhere to enter a word to search for (as there was in the previoius version
of Word) but rather only a space for the name of a file that you want to
search for (which is obviously irrelevant if one is looking for the same word
in multiple files and documents no matter which file they may be in). Thank
you in advance for any suggestions / instruction.

"gfmc" wrote in message
I'm an old WP user and with that, could search for a particular word in
multiple files at one time. I have both word 97 and 2003 and know how to
search a single file. Can multiple files be searched at a time without
opening them??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jcrinnz jcrinnz is offline

Thank you, Suzanne, but I'm running Vista Business and am hoping to find how
to do the same as I could previously through the Start/Search function which
used to have the option, via a puppy wagging its tail, to search for either
files on your hard drive or words therein. Thanks again and any further
suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In Windows XP, if you select "Files and folders," then you get another pane
in which you can search for either the filename or a word that appears in
the content.

news

"gfmc" wrote in message
I'm an old WP user and with that, could search for a particular word in
multiple files at one time. I have both word 97 and 2003 and know how
search a single file. Can multiple files be searched at a time without
opening them??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Has Start | Search changed so much between XP and Vista? Can you still use
Search in Windows Explorer?

I'll grant you XP was (for me) a big change from W2k (and I'm not crazy
about the way Search appears in XP), but I've figured it out.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In Windows XP, if you select "Files and folders," then you get another
pane
in which you can search for either the filename or a word that appears in
the content.

news

"gfmc" wrote in message
I'm an old WP user and with that, could search for a particular word
in
multiple files at one time. I have both word 97 and 2003 and know
how
search a single file. Can multiple files be searched at a time
without
opening them??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jcrinnz jcrinnz is offline

Yes it has, and yes I believe that you can but I've never used Search in
Windows Explorer before. It appears to work OK though.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In Windows XP, if you select "Files and folders," then you get another
pane
in which you can search for either the filename or a word that appears in
the content.

news I have tried using the 'Search' command under the 'Start' menu but don't