hinsha

Default I Get a error when trying to access the office assistant

Hi, I wonder if any of you geniuses can help me out. I have Office 2000, and
all of a sudden when im in word i get the following error.

"There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to try
reinstalling it".

I have tried reinstalling, and uninstalling office alltogether and then
reinstalling office. However this error still comes up every time i open word
and its so annoying.

Can anyone help me out.

Regards

Doug Robbins

Try renaming the normal.dot template to normal.old and then restart Word.
None of the things that you have done will have any effect on that template
so it may be the problem.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"hinsha" wrote in message
Hi, I wonder if any of you geniuses can help me out. I have Office 2000,
and
all of a sudden when im in word i get the following error.

"There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to try
reinstalling it".

I have tried reinstalling, and uninstalling office alltogether and then
reinstalling office. However this error still comes up every time i open
word
and its so annoying.

Can anyone help me out.

Regards

garfield-n-odie

If Doug's suggestion doesn't help, see the following two articles for
other possible solutions:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217440
"You receive error messages when you start Office 2000 programs"

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221354
"You receive a 'There was a problem starting the Office Assistant' error
message when you run an Office 2000 program"

hinsha wrote:
Hi, I wonder if any of you geniuses can help me out. I have Office 2000, and
all of a sudden when im in word i get the following error.

"There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to try
reinstalling it".

I have tried reinstalling, and uninstalling office alltogether and then
reinstalling office. However this error still comes up every time i open word
and its so annoying.

Can anyone help me out.

Regards

hinsha

How do i find the normal.dot template in order to rename it, the only thing i
can find is blank document under file new then on the bottom right, i see
document or template. But nothing on normal.dot.

"hinsha" wrote in message
Hi, I wonder if any of you geniuses can help me out. I have Office 2000,
and
all of a sudden when im in word i get the following error.

"There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to try
reinstalling it".

I have tried reinstalling, and uninstalling office alltogether and then
reinstalling office. However this error still comes up every time i open
word
and its so annoying.

Can anyone help me out.

Regards

hinsha

Hey garfield-n-odie,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I did try as you suggested with the articles
but neither worked.
The first was to do a detect and repair which I did, and the error still
comes up the second one i already tried before my original post and it didn't
work either. Its just annoying; the program works fine just that darn error
comes up.

hinsha wrote:
Hi, I wonder if any of you geniuses can help me out. I have Office 2000, and
all of a sudden when im in word i get the following error.

"There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to try
reinstalling it".

I have tried reinstalling, and uninstalling office alltogether and then
reinstalling office. However this error still comes up every time i open word
and its so annoying.

Can anyone help me out.

Regards

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm for
instructions on location Normal.dot.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Try renaming the normal.dot template to normal.old and then restart

Word.
None of the things that you have done will have any effect on that

template
so it may be the problem.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"hinsha" wrote in message
Hi, I wonder if any of you geniuses can help me out. I have Office

2000,
and
all of a sudden when im in word i get the following error.

"There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to

try
reinstalling it".

I have tried reinstalling, and uninstalling office alltogether and

then
reinstalling office. However this error still comes up every time i

open
word
and its so annoying.

Can anyone help me out.

Regards

hinsha

Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for the prompt reply, i tried everything you started in your article,
I am still receiving the darn error though. Any other ideas.