Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steph

Default how do I unlock a document created by myself??

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do I unlock a document created by myself??

No worries, unlocking a document in Microsoft Word is a pretty simple process. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open the locked document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "Review" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the "Protect" group and click on the "Restrict Editing" button.
  4. In the task pane that appears on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the "Stop Protection" button.
  5. If the document is password-protected, you will be prompted to enter the password. Enter the password and click "OK".
  6. The document should now be unlocked and you should be able to make changes to it.

If you don't remember the password, unfortunately, there's no way to unlock the document without it. In that case, you may need to recreate the document from scratch or try to recover the password using a third-party tool.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Have you tried Tools | Unprotect Document? Or Using your Forms toolbar,
clicking on the lock icon? If the document is password protected, you will
need to know the password.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tberry tberry is offline

ok on the Forms toolbar, as stated. Sorry but I don't seem to know where the
Forms toolbar is. My toolbars are almost completely greyed out and under
tools I only have the option to "protect" not "unprotect" and it is grey.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right-click on any toolbar and choose Forms from the menu. Or use View |
Toolbars and choose it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
we2bfree we2bfree is offline

I have right-clicked on my toolbar and nothing happens - I right-clicked on
a toolbar outside of my document and no Forms appears in the menu. View
doesn't show the option either and tools show Protect document but it is in
grey. I never locked this document it just happened

Please Help - Susan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you get a menu of toolbars when you right-click on a toolbar? Do you get
a Toolbars item on the Tools menu (you may have to expand the menu to see
it)? Both of these should list the Forms toolbar. What version of Word do
you have?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tberry tberry is offline

Thanx. When I right-clicked on a toolbar, the drop down menu showed that my
toolbars were locked. I clicked it and removed the check next to "lock
toolbar". I don't know if that is unlocking my word program or not. I can't
even download a memo template and use it because it is locked already.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sure you were clicking on a toolbar in Word? The only thing I know
of that you can right-click on and get a message about locking or unlocking
is the Windows Taskbar.

There is no way (that I know of) to lock a toolbar in Word (unless by means
of some add-in). Even when a document is protected for forms, you should be
able to access the toolbar menu. If it is protected in some other way, then
the Forms toolbar wouldn't do you any good.

If you are getting a status bar message that "This command is unavailable
because the document is locked for editing," then this indicates that your
copy of Word has not been activated or is a trial version that has expired.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in
by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
g. nash g. nash is offline

I have tried to unlock the document by going to tools. My options are gray so
I am unable to click on protect document. I have deleted the document and
attempted to start a new blank document. The blank document is loacked as
well.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Red Mage Red Mage is offline

Default How to unlock the project if it is locked

Please help me....

Hello to all,Strange problem no idea....

I locked MySample template Project using
Tools - Template Project Properties - Protection tab -under Lock project
group i checked the checkbox (Lock for viewing) and also the password
"mypassword" in the password fields.This way i protected the document.

Now MySample template is protected,but i need to delete a module from this
template and i have to copy a module from other template using VBA. Im able
to delete the module but im not able to copy the module....

If the MySample template is not protected with Password the following code
works....othewise it fails

Sub MacroCopy

Dim MacroName, fromfile, tofile As String
MacroName = "TestMacro"

fromfile = "C:\MacroCopy.dot"
tofile = "C:\MySample.dot"
Documents.Open FileName:=tofile, Visible:=True
Documents(tofile).Activate

'Remove the existing Module from the template
On Error Resume Next
Application.OrganizerDelete Source:=tofile, Name:=MacroName, _
Object:=wdOrganizerObjectProjectItems
'Copy the macro to the template
Application.OrganizerCopy Source:=fromfile, Destination:=tofile _
, Name:="InspectionInfo", Object:=wdOrganizerObjectProjectItems
Documents.Save NoPrompt:=True, OriginalFormat:=wdOriginalDocumentFormat

ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.Close

End Sub

what i have to do in the code so it can copy the module,eventhough it id
protected for viewing...

Thanks in Advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laurie Laurie is offline

Are you using Office 2007?

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UmVkIE1hZ2U=?=,

This should better be discussed in a macro group, such as word.vba.general,
however...

You cannot programmatically change the content of the VBA project if it is
"locked for viewing" (protected).

Perhaps if you explain (in the macro newsgroup) why you would need to copy and
delete modules one could think of an alternate approach...

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sunshine414 sunshine414 is offline

tberry- If you have MS Office '07, then the problem may be that you need to
register the product before your Office programs will work properly. You'll
need to locate your 25 charcter product key. This key is located in the
package in which the program came.
Also, you should be getting prompted to enter this key when you launch an
Office program such as Word. The prompt text is incorrect stating that
Micrsoft does not "require" the key, rather that it only "recommends" that
you register the product. This is simply not true. You have to register the
product eventually as the program only allows you to bypass the product key
prompt 25 times before it will lock or "diminish functionality" of your MS
Office programs. It sounds like your "locked" toolbars are the result. Good
luck!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hy1911 hy1911 is offline

Hi,

I have downaloaded an application orm for a job, but the document is
password protected, making it unable for me to change lengths of tables/
write in some areas... etc... anyone know how i can unprotect the document
without the password?? thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If this is a protected form, inserting it into a blank document (via the
Insert File dialog box) will clear the protection.

To open the Insert File dialog box: Click Insert | File (Word 2003) or click
Insert tab | Object | Text from File (Word 2007).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hy1911" wrote in message

Hi,

I have downaloaded an application orm for a job, but the document is
password protected, making it unable for me to change lengths of tables/
write in some areas... etc... anyone know how i can unprotect the document
without the password?? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Asha's Room Asha's Room is offline

i NEVER locked this document it iust happen

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bbellue bbellue is offline

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sonney Sonney is offline

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CEO CEO is offline

Hi I am experiencing an identical problem. I am trying to unprotect a
document, I know the password but the Unprotect function under the Tools Menu
is grey. Please help!!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CEO CEO is offline

All of the icons are greyed out even on the forms toolbar. No this is not a
trial version. I have tried to do everything to unlock this document

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi CEO,

Is it just this document or any document? If all documents you may want to check the activation for the app and/or holding the
control key when starting Word (safe mode) to see if it's something broken with the app or an add-in

If it's just this document, have you tried the step mentioned previously in this thread to Insert the document into another one?

If Word 2003, under Tools=Protect document, if none fo the 'Restriction' items are showing, try clicking also on the 'Restrict
permission' link at the bottom of that Task pane.

If Word 2007, under Office Button=Prepare
the 'Mark as Final' button is turned try turning that one off to see if it restores the icons.

===========
"CEO" wrote in message ...

All of the icons are greyed out even on the forms toolbar. No this is not a
trial version. I have tried to do everything to unlock this document
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Lock/Unlock button works only if the document is protected for forms. If
some other protection is applied, or if a password is required, then you
need another procedure. If it is a password-protected form, you can remove
the protection by inserting the file into a new document.

"Oscar" wrote in message
I have tried to unlock the document even in outline view. It
won't let me unlock anything. Is there another way to solve this problem?

Oscar
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Furious_Tom Furious_Tom is offline

i got my laptop with all the programs pre installed and without packaging.
vista wont let me down grade my office programs back to 2003 and nothing
works. how can i possible activate my word if i never recieved a product key.
i realise that not having a product key is probably a fault of the business i
purchased the laptop off of but the office help function has been
infuriatingly unhelpful. is there anyway that tefch support or some such can
remedy the situation or will i never be able to use word again on my laptop?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
littlelight littlelight is offline

This is exactly my problem. I got a new laptop with vista and it came with a
sample word which I should have installed but didn't need at the time. I
must have surpassed the 25 time limit to open a document without and
character key. So I went online to find one and it opens but all of my
documents are locked. Even when I open up a new one, I can't write in it or
do any other functions. When I try, it says "The modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked". Please help with what I should do next!
Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb Barb is offline

I am having the same problem with everything locked. I have re-activated the
word 2003, tried opening in safe mode, everything listed so far to no avail.
My tool bars are greyed out and I am unable to do anything. IS there a fix?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Does http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823527 help?
See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in
by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
angela. angela. is offline

hi tom, im having the exact same problem... have you managed to sort yours?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
redsnapper redsnapper is offline

Hello my microsoft word trial version has expired and I have my resume in
that program and I cannot even backspace or even tried to transfer it over to
my documents I really dont want to have to rewrite a new resume again I have
one already in my notepad but the one in word I really need please help and
tell me what to do

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marie Marie is offline

Are these instructions for Word 2007? They seem to be Word 2003? I have a
form I made in 2003. Now that I have 2007, I can't find any way to unlock it
and can't find a forms toolbar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Forms toolbar is part of the Legacy Tools on the Developer tab, which
you must first enable at Office Button | Word Options | Popular.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chitundu Chitundu is offline

hey i have an assignment due tomorow and it will not allow me to edit it.
well maybe I haved passed my 25 times too. but I think Microsoft should just
say you have passed your 25 times instead of just switching off just like
that. thanks for that response

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sara Sara is offline

hey! i really have to same problem?/ do u solve this problem yet?/ coz the
also say the modification is not allowed .... too. pls let me know,,,

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the trial version is expired, then your only recourse is to either buy
the program or stop using it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be
filled in by
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change
it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
willow willow is offline

i have exactly the same problem you have.my word docs were working perfectly
fine yesterday and now i wont let me do anything in any of them,even a new
doc.i've right clicked on the toolbar and nothing happens.ive looked in the
toolbar bit and its in grey so i can't do anything.i dont have these
programmes on trial,they're installed on my laptop.i don't understand whats
happening.i didnt lock anything yet my word docs are locked.can someone
please help?!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message

where is the lock icon

"Steph" wrote:

I have created a document & locked it as it is to be filled in by a
number of
other people. Only problem is I cannot get in to change it??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

When you say "they're installed on my laptop" were they installed by you
from the Office 2007 CD, or pre-installed when you bought the laptop? If the
latter it is almost certain that it is a trial version and that has now
expired. Many laptop manufacturers pre-install Office 2007 as a trial
version. If this was sold to you as a full version then you need to take it
up with whoever sold you the laptop.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Forms toolbar, as stated.

"elle" wrote in message