Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DAVID I.

Default Can't SAVE files to Folders from EXCEL (and WORD)

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"... the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Hi David:

You can remove the offending update from Add/Remove Programs, where it shows
as "Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)". Make sure the "show updates"
box at the top is ticked or you won't see hotfixes in the list.

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"... the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward H. Sebesta

Doesn't this exposure you to security problems. And also, could this cause
additional problems? Why can't Microsoft fix this.

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"... the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It doesn't expose you to any more security problems than you had the
minute/day/month/year before you installed the update.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"...

the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to

crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same

thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled

the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Well Said Suzanne! I wonder if it helped him??
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"...

the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to

crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same

thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled

the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy

I had the very same problem - after a day and a half of trying to figure out
what was wrong I stumbled onto this forum. I tried the fix suggested and now
Word and Excel save to folders. Thanks for the help - but no Thanks to
Microsoft for the lost time and effort of the last two days.

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"...

the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to

crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same

thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled

the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And apparently I'm still insecure since I haven't yet downloaded the updates
(Automatic Updates prompted, I said yes, and then nothing happened).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It doesn't expose you to any more security problems than you had the
minute/day/month/year before you installed the update.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save

as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to

crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same

thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the

latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then

reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, you can read the KB article and assess the danger for yourself. Did
you really expect to get an answer for all of the half a dozen or more times
you posted this question?

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save

as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to

crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same

thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the

latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then

reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward H. Sebesta

I expected that there was likely no fix, but I would ask anyways, being that
this is not my area of expertise. The worst that I thought could happen that
I would find no answer. Obviously you have revealed that I underestimated the
worst.

Instead I would encounter a snotty, arrogant individual who really had no
value added information, but was preoccupied with showing off how smart they
could make themselves seem even at the expense of denigrating others.

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save

as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to
crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same
thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the

latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then

reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Edward,

Suzanne is a very helpful person. You are being "snotty" and throwing a fit
because you can't get what you want. Everyone who answers questions here is
a volunteer, a fellow user of Word, not a Microsoft Employee. This update
has caused a lot of people problems. It has greatly increased the number of
questions appearing on these boards. People are trying to pass on
information as they get it. Your posting the same question numerous times
slows down the response to others, without any purpose. Your question was
answered, correctly, by volunteers, on a holiday weekend.

Yes, removing the update exposes you to a security risk. It is your call.
You can take the exposure and use the product with the exposure, or shut
down your use of Word and Excel and wait. We don't work for Microsoft and we
don't like the situation any better than you do.

She did not call you names or otherwise denigrate you. That you are You owe
her, and the rest of us, an apology.

By the way, are you the Edward H. Sebesta who is tracking the
Neo-Confederate movement?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_H._Sebesta
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, you can read the KB article and assess the danger for yourself. Did
you really expect to get an answer for all of the half a dozen or more
times
you posted this question?

so
all may benefit.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save

as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have
crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The
same
thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the

latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then

reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward H. Sebesta

Mr. Kenyon,
You use Wikipedia as a reliable source?
Ed

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save
as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have
crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The
same
thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the
latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then
reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Doesn't everyone?

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, you can read the KB article and assess the danger for yourself.

Did
you really expect to get an answer for all of the half a dozen or

more
times
you posted this question?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote

in
message ...

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a

"save
as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I

have
crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder.

The
same
thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did

the
latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then
reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Velocity Guy

I am having the same problem, I can't save any files in Office, yet I
did not do a security upgrade.
Thinking it may have upgraded automatically, I went to the Add/Remove
section and did not find any Security Updates list.
I have run a virus scan, Spyware scan, and put my MS Office 2003 CD
back in and ran the "repair" function, I have tried starting it up in
safe mode and tried saving a file that way..... none of this is helping
Can someone tell an non-IT type what he can try and walk me through the
steps
Many thanks
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail Huber

Thank you Carol, I read this post and did what you recommeded and it worked..
Thanks so much... Now how do I let Microsoft know?

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"... the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ZephyrRowanoak

Thank you Suzanne for posting the link, I never would have recognized it as
being related to the problem if you hadn't.
I suggestion/request to all of you who know so much more than the rest of us
(hear my voice light (deep and mellow actually))....I would have never
removed anything based on the advice of someone I didn't know (have had that
disaster before), having the official page makes me comfortable about doing
it. I only wish I hadn't needed to read through the personal quarrels to find
it. I'm new to the "community", is this typical?
I'm going to try to fix my computer now (cross fingers for me)...and I agree
with (forgot who) thanks a lot Micro....two hours of trying everything I know
before I had time to start a search...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

"Velocity Guy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am having the same problem, I can't save any files in Office, yet I
did not do a security upgrade.
Thinking it may have upgraded automatically, I went to the Add/Remove
section and did not find any Security Updates list.
I have run a virus scan, Spyware scan, and put my MS Office 2003 CD
back in and ran the "repair" function, I have tried starting it up in
safe mode and tried saving a file that way..... none of this is helping
Can someone tell an non-IT type what he can try and walk me through the
steps
Many thanks
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You just happened into one unfortunate thread. Probably at least 50% of the
questions in the microsoft.public.word.application.errors NG and a very
large proportion of those posted here in the past couple of weeks have been
about this issue. If you had scanned the subject lines of other posts
(including many much more recent ones), you would have found many where the
solution was posted in the first reply.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ZephyrRowanoak

I'm sending it out, it's been a hot topic these past few days...I'm surprised
my more computer savy friends didn't find this first (one for me ;-))...I
just entered "word save as program not responding" and landed here....as for
scanning subject lines.....is that a faster way to find a result? I'm new
here...Z

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

We encourage people to search the NG before posting. It's almost always a
mistake to assume that your problem is unique, no matter how bizarre it may
seem to you. In most cases we will have seen it many times already.
Sometimes there are almost as many descriptions of a problem as there are
people experiencing it (one notable example is the "Hide White Space"
issue), and in such cases looking at subject lines won't help; possibly even
using the NG search wouldn't help. In this instance, though, almost all of
the users who have been posting to the Word NGs (as opposed to those who are
having problems with IE, OE, or other Windows apps) are reporting inability
to open or save documents or insert pictures, and this is reflected in the
subject lines.

Another mistake users make is refusing to take the advise we give, often
given in very terse form, such as "See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm" or "See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm." When we post a
reply like that, we mean, "Read this article and do what it says." Often
users will post back and say, "I read the article, and it didn't apply to my
situation," and then we have to explain that, even though the article may
not mention their specific problem, the solution proposed *will* work for
that problem.

Sometimes users hear but don't understand. In the past couple of days I've
looked at two documents where a user was having trouble changing the
orientation of a document or resizing text in it. In both cases, I had told
the user to go to Format | Columns and click on the One button. Both users,
because they had already changed the number of columns to 1, claimed that
this didn't help. But changing the number of columns to 1 by using the
Columns button on the toolbar doesn't always result in the "Equal column
width" button being checked, and that's what clicking on the One preset does
accomplish. In both cases, I was able to "fix" the document by doing exactly
what I had told the user to do, which he had claimed to have done without
result.

Needless to say, none of this is directed to you--just some thoughts I've
been wanting to get off my chest. g

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You just happened into one unfortunate thread. Probably at least 50% of

the
questions in the microsoft.public.word.application.errors NG and a very
large proportion of those posted here in the past couple of weeks have

been
about this issue. If you had scanned the subject lines of other posts
(including many much more recent ones), you would have found many where

the
solution was posted in the first reply.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"ZephyrRowanoak" wrote in

message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon

Fantastic advice! I had been racking my brains and Googling all over the
place to find out what had gone wrong. Though it might even be virus
related. But it seems Microsoft are themselves the culprits. What a bunch
of nerks! They should be ashamed of themselves.

Thanks again.

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"... the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Nope, this time Microsoft is not the culprit, but possibly the hero. The
problem arose because of third party software (possibly not written to
Windows specs) that tripped up a necessary security patch.
--

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash
it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ZephyrRowanoak

Default good advice...

Actually, it does "apply", not to the specific post-problem, but in
understanding more about how to utilize the site and dicusssions more
effectively. People who are highly skilled in a field often forget what the
people who are not highly skilled don't know or understand, most of the
things that become a problem for me with software have to do (eventually)
with something I didn't know and was not explained as fully as a new used
needed...the resolution said "4. Point to new", it took me a monent to try a
right click and find "new"....
your explaination was excellent and very good advice, thank you, Z

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon

Charles

You probably know moe aboutthis than me but I'm confused.

Microsoft send out a security patch. Microsoft Word and Excel get screwed
up. How is third party software to blame? And even if it is, does an
organisation the size of Microsoft not foresee such glitches? I'm also told
this kind of thing has happened before...

Simon

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash
it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Over 120 million successful installations of the update. Less than 1000
calls about problems.
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx

That update patched a very real security hole in Windows. If they try it
against every scrap of outdated software that is out there and all
combinations, they might release it by the next millenium.

Chances are that the third-party software was not written to WindowsXP specs
but still managed to run.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save
as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to
crash
it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same
thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the
latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon

Sorry but still confused.

It took me ages to find out where the problem lay and I'm a pretty
determined kind of guy. I am also fairly tech savvy (if not an actual
techy). So to assume all 12 million updates were successful, or even most of
them were, is putting a rather positive spin on it.

More importantly, what is this outdated software you refer to? I use the
most up to date operating system (XP) and the most up to date software
(Office 2003), all of them kept updated by MS themselves. So apart from MS
products, what could have been the problem?

SImon

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save
as"...
the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to
crash
it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same
thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the
latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled
the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ed

Hello
I had the same problem in both of my computers. I got rid of the Security
Update listed below but my automatic updates keeps wanting to download it
again. I did not notice this at first but I lost another document as I tried
to save it after the file was again downloaded. Any solutions to kill this
update?
Why was the obvious problem not noticed?
Ed B

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"... the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Change your Automatic Updates setting from full automatic to "Notify," then
refuse the update when it is offered. A corrected update is supposed to be
available today, however; see http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"...

the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to

crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same

thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled

the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AlanTerrill

I'm having exactly the same problem, but it's not to do with the security
patch mentioned as I haven't loaded it (and won't now!). Waht I've tried is:
Running office repair
Uninstalling and reinstakking office
Removing and replacing the normal.dot

None have worked. I still can't savea single document in Word or Excel. I
tired logging on as a different person and the same thing happens. Also if I
go to the folders where Word documents reside through My Documents and create
a new file it lets me, so its not a security issue. So does anyone have any
further thoughts please before I format the disc and reload windows?

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"... the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AlanTerrill

Ok -I've solved this thanks to another forum. It seems that its the
combination of a recent microsoft update and the presence of HP share-to-web
software. Have a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165? . You'll have to do some
registry hacking, but it has cured my problem. I wasn't even aware I had this
HP software as I'd long ago removed the printer driver, but it was obviously
still lurking around somewhere.
Alan

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"... the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Penni_louise

I was having the exact same problem. saw this on another forum and it seems
to have helped! Ive copied and pasted it. I downloaded the update that was
released on april 25! Hope this helps! And i hope my problem doesnt re-occur
its so annoyin!!!

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 "Problems in Windows
Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update
MS06-015".

If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry
yourself, then go to
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll
down to Item No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software -
Fix". Download and run the script to automatically modify your
registry as described in KB918165. You may need to temporarily
disable your antivirus program in order to run the script.

A revised version of the MS06-015 update was released on April 25
that supposedly interacts better with the older HP and nVidia
software. You can download the revised update from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx .

Some people may suggest that you uninstall the MS06-015 update,
or rename the c:\windows\system32\verclsid.exe file. Doing
either of these things will leave your computer vulnerable to the
security issue described at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nicole

You know Ed, with a crapy response like yours, this is why people stop
posting to these threads to help one another. If you don't like the posts
here, why don't you just pay Microsoft for their time to fix your problems.
I am so glad that you are so perfect in helping resolve this issue at hand
and not making "smart" remarks to everyone. Where is your post to help David
and others with this problem?

I cannot stand people who are arrogant and to others.

"DAVID I." wrote:

I can't save files to existing folders... can't even do a "save as"...

the
EXCEL 2003 Program gets to a "Not Responding" state and I have to

crash it.
I was able to save a file to the "My Documents" folder. The same

thing
happened to my Word Program. This all happened after I did the latest
security update to the XP program. I "removed" and then reinstalled

the
Office 2003 program but the problem still exists.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suyaken Suyaken is offline

Last year I couldn't save at all after seconds symester: because it was
apparently full. Now i can save only once, then it becomes read only. I can't
make any adjustments unless i rename it: except in Access. For some reason I
can't do anything else but read it once i close it. I can save in
mydocuments, but it seems like
i'm the only student having these problems: so how do i fix my folder at
school?