Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Eric_G

Default WORD could not establish DDE connection to EXCEL to complete the t

I am attempting a WORD merge using an EXCEL file as the data file; the data
file is quite large -- over 7500 rows / records. Each time I try to specify
the EXCEL file as the data file, I get the above-noted error message. Is
there any way to overcome this problem. I'm only assuming it has to do with
the size of the EXCEL file but am not sure.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198299 "You receive a 'Word
could not re-establish a DDE connection to Microsoft Excel' error
message when you attach a Microsoft Excel worksheet as a
mail-merge data source in Word 2000".

Eric_G wrote:

I am attempting a WORD merge using an EXCEL file as the data file; the data
file is quite large -- over 7500 rows / records. Each time I try to specify
the EXCEL file as the data file, I get the above-noted error message. Is
there any way to overcome this problem. I'm only assuming it has to do with
the size of the EXCEL file but am not sure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Eric_G

Default WORD could not establish DDE connection to EXCEL to complete t

Thanks -- tried it but to no avail. I now get the error message "Unable to
open data source" then "not enough memory to convert the data source". I
guess the file size is too big. Any suggestions?

Eric_G wrote:

I am attempting a WORD merge using an EXCEL file as the data file; the data
file is quite large -- over 7500 rows / records. Each time I try to specify
the EXCEL file as the data file, I get the above-noted error message. Is
there any way to overcome this problem. I'm only assuming it has to do with
the size of the EXCEL file but am not sure.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Every time I see someone in these newsgroups say "to no avail",
it usually means the person didn't read the instructions and/or
didn't understand the instructions and/or didn't follow the
instructions.

First, the article applies to Word 2000. Is that the version of
Word that you have? If not, then what version of Word do you have?

Second, when you say "tried it", which of the FOUR methods
suggested in the article does "it" refer to? What happens if you
try each of the other three methods?