Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jeannette

Default bookfold doesn't work

I can't merge to bookfold. This just started. It merges ok then blinks and
the margins are off. when I print it prints small in the middle of the page.
I have tried this on three computers so it has to have something to do with
one of microsoft's updates. I merge to bookfold all the time so I know how.
I have put the CD in and did a detect and repair, no help. I did a restore
back two weeks, no help. I turned the computer off and on, no help. I
saved the database and gave it another file name, no help. I copied and
pasted the database, no help. I tried another database and it did the same
thing. I can merge to labels but not bookfold. I have to get this job done
please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I have tried this on three computers so it has to have something to do
with
one of microsoft's updates.

Some recent updates ahave caused a lot of problems with Word. I quote CIndy
Meister:

"There are massive problems with the most recent set of updates. There's a
KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165) describing a workaround
for some of the problems. But other people are finding they need to
uninstall
the updates, especially MSO06-015."

If you havne't uninstalled individual updates etc. before, go to Control
Panel|Add or remove Programs. You may also need to check the box that
expands the list to show all the updates.

Peter Jamieson

"jeannette" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jeannette

I went to Control panel and all my updates are listed KB something not
MS006-015.
I do not have kb918165 as listed in the URL above. How do I find MS006-015

Should I just remove all updates back to April 18. My computer downloads
and automaticlly installs so I must have the update you are talking about.

"jeannette" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jeannette

I figured out the update you are talking about is kb908531. I uninstalled it
and tried to merge again and still have the problem.

"jeannette" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Should I just remove all updates back to April 18

Since it seems pretty certain the problem was caused by an update, I would
certainly try it, but I usually have a good set of backups here if things go
wrong. If you're using Windows XP I would at least set a checkpoint first in
Start|Al Programs|Accessories|System Tools|System Restore, and turn off
Windows automatic updates temporarily.

Are any of the recent changes updates to your printer driver?

Do you merge to a new document first (instead of directly to the printer)?
If not can you try that? Does the output file show the same problems?

Peter Jamieson

"jeannette" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jeannette

Peter, I found a computer I hadn't turned on for awhile and found it did not
have the update. I'm afraid when I turn it off it will update. I saved a
copy of the database I was working on to a disk and merged it on that
computer. Same thing happened. I then used an old database from a year ago
that was on that computer. It worked. So the Word database I generated is
corrupt. I came back to my computer and merged a database I generated a year
ago and I still have the problem even after I removed the update.

I copied and pasted the database I generated in Word into Excel on my
computer and then merged again and it worked. I had tried to copy and paste
the Word database into a new file on Word but that didn't help. Now I need
help getting a database in Word that works because most of the people that
need it don't have Excel. Any help would be appreciated.

would it help to uninstall Word and Reinstall it or has the update done
something to the registery?

Thanks for staying with this.

"jeannette" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

would it help to uninstall Word and Reinstall it or has the update done
something to the registery?

It might, but I would try a few less drastic options first. It's probably
worth following the advice at

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

- even though the problem you are having is different, doing stuff such as
recreating normal.dot and recreatingWord's "data key" are worth trying.

Are you the only person who maintains the data? If so, as long as the other
users have Word 2002 or 2003 then you could consider switching to using
Excel as the data source because Word 2002/2003 does not actually need a
copy of Excel to use a Worksheet as a data source. However, there are
gotchas (as usual!). You must be able to merge using the default connection
method in Word 2002/3 (OLEDB). If you have to revert to DDE because word is
truncating your data or you want to avoid using switches in fields, users
without Excel will not be able to do that.

That said, personally, I'd try to get the Word method working, because it
should, and it's the simplest.

Peter Jamieson

Peter Jamieson