Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jt

Default literal text to mail merge

I need to add literal text (ie: "Best of the Best" to a mail merge. The
quotes are constraints for the mail merge formatting. I can't figure out how
to work around this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Is the text in the data source? What is the data source? What version of
Word?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"jt" wrote in message
I need to add literal text (ie: "Best of the Best" to a mail merge. The
quotes are constraints for the mail merge formatting. I can't figure out
how
to work around this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jt

The text is not in the data source. I'm working in word 2003. For example:
{IF {MERGEFIELD RCPS} "0" "You are the "Best of the Best"" " ". When I
attempt to add the quotes to the phrase, it creates conditional text instead
of quoted literal. Adding additional " didn't have an effect. jt

"jt" wrote in message
I need to add literal text (ie: "Best of the Best" to a mail merge. The
quotes are constraints for the mail merge formatting. I can't figure out
how
to work around this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
what4893

Why don't you just do the merge and let Best of the Best come out and
then do a find and replace for Best of the Best and replace it with
"Best of the Best"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

It would be nice if this was easier, but you can do it using a nested field
{ QUOTE 34 }

e.g.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD RCPS } "0" "You are the { QUOTE 34 }Best of the Best{
QUOTE 34 }" " " }

where all the {} are the special field code braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9.

If you are using them a lot and like to keep things short you can use

{ SET q { QUOTE 34 } }

then

{ IF { MERGEFIELD RCPS } "0" "You are the { q }Best of the Best{ q }" "
" }

Peter Jamieson