Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pablo pablo is offline

Default Select Data Source - How can I set up file open to go to the last

Hi
In word when i open a data source for a mail merge, I have to click through
3 4 layers to get to the excel file I need, how can i set up the Select Data
Source window to look in the last place I selected a file from?

Thanks
-Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Suzanne,

You can't do that, unfortunately, but if your data sources are all in Excel,
you can at least make it look in an Excel folder first. This requires a
Registry edit.

I've been under the impression, since Office XP, that one can't change the
target folder, not even in the Registry. Do you have link to this information?

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?cGFibG8=?=,

In word when i open a data source for a mail merge, I have to click through
3 4 layers to get to the excel file I need, how can i set up the Select Data
Source window to look in the last place I selected a file from?

Unfortunately, you don't mention the version of Word you're using? What folder
are you currently defaulting to? Have you considered creating a Windows
Shortcut in this folder to the other locations where you have data sources?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, someone (Graham?) posted this information in one of the NGs
recently...ah, found it, in a thread called "Data Source folder" on June 15:

"It can be set to any sub folder directly below 'My Documents', but no
other location, by means of a registry edit.

"My
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Offi ce\11.0\Common\DataService

"However if you attempt to change this to another folder location it will be
ignored and the My Documents parent folder will be used instead."

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

You can't do that, unfortunately, but if your data sources are all in

Excel,
you can at least make it look in an Excel folder first. This requires a
Registry edit.

I've been under the impression, since Office XP, that one can't change the
target folder, not even in the Registry. Do you have link to this

information?

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

someone (Graham?) posted this information in one of the NGs
recently...ah, found it, in a thread called "Data Source folder" on June 15:

thanks for this, Suzanne :-)

Cindy Meister