Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anthonycmatthews anthonycmatthews is offline

Default Word 2007 - how to import macros from previous normal.dot

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it. thanks Anthony
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

AFAIK, all old macros will run in Word 2007. You will just need to copy the
template in which they are saved and install it in Word 2007 (if you upgrade
over a previous version, they should already be present).

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message news
I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros,

but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it. thanks Anthony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anthonycmatthews anthonycmatthews is offline

I installed Word 2007 as a separate install, on another drive, so i could
continue working in 2003. However both versions had their normal.dot 's
overwritten, losing my keyboard macros (which are mostly about moving round
text - back /
forward a word/character, move to next /last period /comma, up, down, etc.)

I tried using the 2003 save my settings wizard, but that didnt' work either.
:-(

I like the look and feel of the new program but I'm not going to work in it
yet.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anthonycmatthews anthonycmatthews is offline

Cindy, thanks - in addition to my other post, I'm not sure how to do what you
ask below, except to say when I press the key combination, the macro doesnt
happen.

- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

What is the key combination for your macro? Which language are you using
Office in?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message :

Cindy, thanks - in addition to my other post, I'm not sure how to do what you
ask below, except to say when I press the key combination, the macro doesnt
happen.

- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anthonycmatthews anthonycmatthews is offline

To speed up cursor movements for text editing I use the Ctl key in
combination with these keys: w, e, r, t, u, p, a, s, d, f, g, h, j, l, x, c.
Some of these overwrite classic Windows key combinations.

I have one or two Ctl-shift macros as well.

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

What is the key combination for your macro? Which language are you using
Office in?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message :

Cindy, thanks - in addition to my other post, I'm not sure how to do what you
ask below, except to say when I press the key combination, the macro doesnt
happen.

- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anthonycmatthews anthonycmatthews is offline

Patrick - re. your second question, I use UK English in my documents. I
notice that when the language shifts unintentionally (for example with
imported text that is US English) that macros can be affected.

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

What is the key combination for your macro? Which language are you using
Office in?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message :

Cindy, thanks - in addition to my other post, I'm not sure how to do what you
ask below, except to say when I press the key combination, the macro doesnt
happen.

- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

I asked, because Word 2007 comes with a sleuth of new keyboard
combinations built-in. Some are ctrl-shift and cannot be overridden by
the user. Most of the ctrl ones you specify definitely overwrite
built-in ones.
In terms of upgrading your macros. You should find the file normal.dotm
and delete it. Then make sure that your old normal.dot is in the
directory where you found normal.dotm and open Word again. That should
upgrade your macros. Normal.dotm is the successor of normal.dot for Word
2007. You prob. will have to look at each of your macros individually to
check keyboard shortcuts in 2007. In the Office button menu, click Word
options, Personalize tab, and check the box next to the Developer tab
option. Then you have the Developer tab in your ribbon where you can get
to your macros easily. Keyboard shortcuts for Word are controlled via
Word Options, Customization, Keyboard shortcuts.
I asked about the language because the built-in keyboard combinations
are language dependent. For example, there is a different set of
combinations for the German version of Word than for the English one.
You are obviously using the English one (the user interface is in
English).
The language you are writing your document in is not the one I asked
about, but the one you responded with. I am not sure if you are having
issues with that as well. If you do, see this document for information
on how to use it: http://homepage.hispeed.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message :

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

What is the key combination for your macro? Which language are you using
Office in?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message :

Cindy, thanks - in addition to my other post, I'm not sure how to do what you
ask below, except to say when I press the key combination, the macro doesnt
happen.

- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
anthonycmatthews anthonycmatthews is offline

Thanks Patrick, I'll try that - in fact it sounds exactly like what I've done
iwith previous new versions of Office (I've been with Word since version 2.0)
except now the normal.dot file extension has that 'm' at the end.
regards Anthony

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

What is the key combination for your macro? Which language are you using
Office in?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message :

Cindy, thanks - in addition to my other post, I'm not sure how to do what you
ask below, except to say when I press the key combination, the macro doesnt
happen.

- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

Actually, it's not just the 'm' at the end. It's a completely new file
format

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message :

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

What is the key combination for your macro? Which language are you using
Office in?

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"anthonycmatthews" wrote in
message :

Cindy, thanks - in addition to my other post, I'm not sure how to do what you
ask below, except to say when I press the key combination, the macro doesnt
happen.

- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Anthony,

I rely on my keyboard macros for writing and so it's not worthwhile giving
any time to the new beta until I have done that customisation. I can see
that there is a reason why Office 2007 has a different system for macros, but
can you tell me a way to bring my old macros into it.

You should be able to continue to use your macros, unless they do something
that's no longer supported in Word 2007 (very little of that). Have you tried
them? If you have, please describe
- the steps you followed to use them
- exactly how a macro isn't working (and copy the code into your response)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Macros [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 13 June 5th 06 04:14 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Macro help Kathryn Microsoft Word Help 22 May 12th 05 01:04 AM