Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
That70sHeidi That70sHeidi is offline

Default Table of Figures, tabs and hidden text

I have a very long document (now 280+ pages) that has a long TOC, a long ToF
and a long ToT.

When I set up the Table of Figures, I can't seem to get that crucial tab
between the Figure Number and the Figure Title to appear automatically. [In
my captions, I have a text wrapping break that separates the Figure No. from
the Figure Title underneath it.] In short documents I insert the tab manually
on each line of the Table of Figures, but there has to be an easier way.

I tried using the hidden text feature to insert a tab both after the Figure
No. in the caption, as well as before the Figure Title in the Cpation:

* If it is placed between No. and break and hidden, it has no effect on
Table of Figures

* If it is placed between No. and break and revealed, also has no effect and
looks crap.

* If it is placed before the Title on second line and hidden, it has no
effect on Table of Figures.

* If it is placed before the title and NOT hidden, it fixes the Table of
Figures but makes the caption look awful (non centered text)

Any advice? We have some fairly strict Style Guidelines here to follow so I
can't get rid of the text wrapping break, can't put the number and title on
the same line, etc. This is driving me nuts!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But note that each tab character will then be reflected in the TOC entries,
so make sure that there is an appropriate tab stop for each of them; in
particular, don't forget to define a right-aligned tab stop for the page
number at the right margin.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think you need to add a \w switch to your TOC field code.

so
all may benefit.

Hidden text in a table getravel Tables 3 May 8th 23 08:48 PM
how do i get rid of Text in a table of figures? kellywilliams11 Microsoft Word Help 5 October 25th 06 08:55 AM
Set tabs for three pages of figures and tabs remain same for all t CWD-the referee Microsoft Word Help 1 September 6th 06 05:59 PM
Table of Figures - tabs? Jen Microsoft Word Help 2 June 8th 06 09:02 PM
table of figures with hidden text Lisa@OLI Microsoft Word Help 1 August 19th 05 03:42 PM