Jerry

Default Document grows in size uncontrollably

I've been working on a large document (220 pages, 9 MB), mainly changing the
formatting, rearranging paragraphs and deleting comments. The document now
objectively contains less information, but is 60 MB in size. Why is this?

Margaret Aldis

Do you have track changes on? Or the Allow fast saves option checked? Or
Automatically save versions? Any of these will keep all the original content
plus any changes you make in the file.

The file bloat does look huge though - do you have any embedded graphics?

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jerry" wrote in message
I've been working on a large document (220 pages, 9 MB), mainly changing

the
formatting, rearranging paragraphs and deleting comments. The document now
objectively contains less information, but is 60 MB in size. Why is this?

Jerry

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The answer to all of your questions is no. I also
switched off stuff like embed fonts, embed linguistic data and the like. And
yes, there's plenty of graphics, but I've been deleting some, rather than
adding anything. By all logic the size should have gone down...

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
| Do you have track changes on? Or the Allow fast saves option checked? Or
| Automatically save versions? Any of these will keep all the original
content
| plus any changes you make in the file.
|
| The file bloat does look huge though - do you have any embedded graphics?
|
| --
| Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
| Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
|

| "Jerry" wrote in message
| I've been working on a large document (220 pages, 9 MB), mainly changing
| the
| formatting, rearranging paragraphs and deleting comments. The document
now
| objectively contains less information, but is 60 MB in size. Why is
this?

Margaret Aldis

Hi Jerry

In that case I would actually start to be worried about document
corruption - 9-60Mb is a huge bloat and suggests you are building up some
serious crud in the file. If it isn't something that "should" be there, then
it suggests some excessive complexity in the way Word is storing the
non-textual information in the file (formatting pointers etc.)

I'd start over with a new document from template, and paste all but the last
paragraph mark into the new document. Or try saving to Word HTML and
reopening to see if that improves things.

(Reading your reply again, I'm not sure if you understood my question about
embedded graphics - this is where you see an EMBED code if you toggle field
codes, as opposed to a pasted graphic or one which is linked to an external
file. Depending on the tool that owns the format, this sometimes seems to
achieve huge bloats for minor changes such as a change of size.)

--

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hi. Thanks for your reply. The answer to all of your questions is no. I

also
switched off stuff like embed fonts, embed linguistic data and the like.

And
yes, there's plenty of graphics, but I've been deleting some, rather than
adding anything. By all logic the size should have gone down...

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
| Do you have track changes on? Or the Allow fast saves option checked? Or
| Automatically save versions? Any of these will keep all the original
content
| plus any changes you make in the file.
|
| The file bloat does look huge though - do you have any embedded

graphics?

| --
| Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
| Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
|

| "Jerry" wrote in message
| I've been working on a large document (220 pages, 9 MB), mainly

changing
| the
| formatting, rearranging paragraphs and deleting comments. The document
now
| objectively contains less information, but is 60 MB in size. Why is
this?

Jerry

Hi, thanks again for your most valuable help. I copied and pasted
everything in a new document and got the size down to the original
9 megs.

And you are right, I misunderstood your question - there was a
number of embedded Visio diagrams. I ctrl-shift-F9-ed them, and
the size dropped to 6.5 megs.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
| Hi Jerry
|
| In that case I would actually start to be worried about document
| corruption - 9-60Mb is a huge bloat and suggests you are building up some
| serious crud in the file. If it isn't something that "should" be there,
then
| it suggests some excessive complexity in the way Word is storing the
| non-textual information in the file (formatting pointers etc.)
|
| I'd start over with a new document from template, and paste all but the
last
| paragraph mark into the new document. Or try saving to Word HTML and
| reopening to see if that improves things.
|
| (Reading your reply again, I'm not sure if you understood my question
about
| embedded graphics - this is where you see an EMBED code if you toggle
field
| codes, as opposed to a pasted graphic or one which is linked to an
external
| file. Depending on the tool that owns the format, this sometimes seems to
| achieve huge bloats for minor changes such as a change of size.)
|
| --
| Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
| Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
|
| "Jerry" wrote in message
| Hi. Thanks for your reply. The answer to all of your questions is no. I
| also
| switched off stuff like embed fonts, embed linguistic data and the like.
| And
| yes, there's plenty of graphics, but I've been deleting some, rather
than
| adding anything. By all logic the size should have gone down...
|

| "Margaret Aldis" wrote in
| message ...
| | Do you have track changes on? Or the Allow fast saves option checked?
Or
| | Automatically save versions? Any of these will keep all the original
| content
| | plus any changes you make in the file.
| |
| | The file bloat does look huge though - do you have any embedded
| graphics?
| |
| | --
| | Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
| | Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
| | Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
| |
| |
| | "Jerry" wrote in message
| | I've been working on a large document (220 pages, 9 MB), mainly
| changing
| | the
| | formatting, rearranging paragraphs and deleting comments. The
document
| now
| | objectively contains less information, but is 60 MB in size. Why is
| this?
| |
| |
| |
| |

Margaret Aldis

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the feedback - it's very helpful to know whether ideas are on the
right track or not :-)

--

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hi, thanks again for your most valuable help. I copied and pasted
everything in a new document and got the size down to the original
9 megs.

And you are right, I misunderstood your question - there was a
number of embedded Visio diagrams. I ctrl-shift-F9-ed them, and
the size dropped to 6.5 megs.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...
| Hi Jerry
|
| In that case I would actually start to be worried about document
| corruption - 9-60Mb is a huge bloat and suggests you are building up

some
| serious crud in the file. If it isn't something that "should" be there,
then
| it suggests some excessive complexity in the way Word is storing the
| non-textual information in the file (formatting pointers etc.)
|
| I'd start over with a new document from template, and paste all but the
last
| paragraph mark into the new document. Or try saving to Word HTML and
| reopening to see if that improves things.
|
| (Reading your reply again, I'm not sure if you understood my question
about
| embedded graphics - this is where you see an EMBED code if you toggle
field
| codes, as opposed to a pasted graphic or one which is linked to an
external
| file. Depending on the tool that owns the format, this sometimes seems

| achieve huge bloats for minor changes such as a change of size.)
|
| --
| Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
| Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
|
| "Jerry" wrote in message
| Hi. Thanks for your reply. The answer to all of your questions is no.

| also
| switched off stuff like embed fonts, embed linguistic data and the

like.
| And
| yes, there's plenty of graphics, but I've been deleting some, rather
than
| adding anything. By all logic the size should have gone down...
|

| "Margaret Aldis" wrote

in
| message ...
| | Do you have track changes on? Or the Allow fast saves option

checked?
Or
| | Automatically save versions? Any of these will keep all the original
| content
| | plus any changes you make in the file.
| |
| | The file bloat does look huge though - do you have any embedded
| graphics?
| |
| | --
| | Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
| | Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
| | Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
| |
| |
| | "Jerry" wrote in message
| | I've been working on a large document (220 pages, 9 MB), mainly
| changing
| | the
| | formatting, rearranging paragraphs and deleting comments. The
document
| now
| | objectively contains less information, but is 60 MB in size. Why

is
| this?
| |
| |