Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobs bobs is offline

Default Word 2002 in Windows XP

I seem to have lost "recent documents" in my version of Word. They do not
appear in the start menu or in the list of start menu items in
customise/advanced.
They do not appear in Word file menu. The item in tools/options/general is
unavailable (greyed out). They do not appear in the Open a Document Task Pane.
I thought I had found a solution in article 284896 of the MS Knowledge Base,
but I am not using Tweak UI
Anyone know how I could get them back?
thanks
--
electricflyer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you using any other software that suppresses display of recent documents
anywhere on your system?

http://word.mvps.org

"bobs" wrote in message
I seem to have lost "recent documents" in my version of Word. They do not
appear in the start menu or in the list of start menu items in
customise/advanced.
They do not appear in Word file menu. The item in tools/options/general is
unavailable (greyed out). They do not appear in the Open a Document Task
Pane.
I thought I had found a solution in article 284896 of the MS Knowledge
Base,
but I am not using Tweak UI
Anyone know how I could get them back?
thanks
--
electricflyer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobs bobs is offline

Hi Suzanne
that may well be the case but if so I do not know which software might be
doing it or how to find out which software to remove. Trial and error would
be a very long process!
--
electricflyer

"bobs" wrote in message
I seem to have lost "recent documents" in my version of Word. They do not
appear in the start menu or in the list of start menu items in
customise/advanced.
They do not appear in Word file menu. The item in tools/options/general is
unavailable (greyed out). They do not appear in the Open a Document Task
Pane.
I thought I had found a solution in article 284896 of the MS Knowledge
Base,
but I am not using Tweak UI
Anyone know how I could get them back?
thanks
--
electricflyer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, what I meant was "any software whose purpose is to suppress MRU
lists." If you had it, you would surely know it. Usually a mention of
TweakUI is all that's required to remind users that they set the "paranoia"
options in that applications. In your case, it might be a "privacy" setting
in your AV or firewall.

http://word.mvps.org

"bobs" wrote in message
I seem to have lost "recent documents" in my version of Word. They do
not
appear in the start menu or in the list of start menu items in
customise/advanced.
They do not appear in Word file menu. The item in tools/options/general
is
unavailable (greyed out). They do not appear in the Open a Document
Task
Pane.
I thought I had found a solution in article 284896 of the MS Knowledge
Base,
but I am not using Tweak UI
Anyone know how I could get them back?
thanks
--
electricflyer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobs bobs is offline

Hi Suzanne
I have checked my AV and Firewall (I'm using AVG) and cannot spot anything
which might cause this, and if I close AVG down for a while it doesn't change
anything. One problem is that I cannot be certain when this change occurred
which makes it difficult to tie it to anything I have changed since then. I
could try System Restore but I have had problems with that in the past so am
reluctant to risk it now.
Anything else you can suggest?

thanks

Bobs

--
electricflyer

"bobs" wrote in message
I seem to have lost "recent documents" in my version of Word. They do
not
appear in the start menu or in the list of start menu items in
customise/advanced.
They do not appear in Word file menu. The item in tools/options/general
is
unavailable (greyed out). They do not appear in the Open a Document
Task
Pane.
I thought I had found a solution in article 284896 of the MS Knowledge
Base,
but I am not using Tweak UI
Anyone know how I could get them back?
thanks
--
electricflyer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm afraid I can't think of anything else, but you might explore the
Registry, as there are keys that pertain to MRU lists; if you delete, say,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\W ord\File MRU (if it
exists--I'm extrapolating from the 12.0 key), that might do the trick.

Surely someone else here knows more about this than I and will eventually
pipe up!

http://word.mvps.org