Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dannyw Dannyw is offline

Default Error message when mail-merging from Excel 2003

I have always been able to mailmerge letters in Word using a data-source in
Excel but recently every time I try it I get an error message "A field
calculation error occurred in record 1" and I can then okay this and get the
same error message for record 2 and so on until the end of the data.
Annoying when I have ten or twenty records but when I have several thousand I
can't cope. This happens with different letters and different spreadsheets.

Any ideas?
--
Danny
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

A few things you can try or look at...
a. If you create a simple mail merge main document with no text, images,
etc, do you see the problem? Make sure the document is completely blank
other than the stuff you insert, i.e. no headers/footers etc. (A "bad"
normal.dot could be inserteing something unhelpful into every document you
create).
b. Do you actually have any calculation fields in the problem documents (
i.e. {=} fields ?)
c. Do you have numeric picture switches (e.g. \#$,0.00 ) in any of your
fields, and if so, do the characters for the decimal point and separator
match the ones in your Windows regional options?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"dannyw" wrote in message
I have always been able to mailmerge letters in Word using a data-source in
Excel but recently every time I try it I get an error message "A field
calculation error occurred in record 1" and I can then okay this and get
the
same error message for record 2 and so on until the end of the data.
Annoying when I have ten or twenty records but when I have several
thousand I
can't cope. This happens with different letters and different
spreadsheets.

Any ideas?
--
Danny

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael M Michael M is offline

Default Override Pop-up for field calculation error

Is it possible to override the field calculation errors?
I have tried a On error goto type command but it doesn't seem to detect the pop-up as an error.

Peter Jamieson wrote:

A few things you can try or look at... a.
08-Sep-08

A few things you can try or look at...
a. If you create a simple mail merge main document with no text, images,
etc, do you see the problem? Make sure the document is completely blank
other than the stuff you insert, i.e. no headers/footers etc. (A "bad"
normal.dot could be inserteing something unhelpful into every document you
create).
b. Do you actually have any calculation fields in the problem documents (
i.e. {=} fields ?)
c. Do you have numeric picture switches (e.g. \#$,0.00 ) in any of your
fields, and if so, do the characters for the decimal point and separator
match the ones in your Windows regional options?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"dannyw" wrote in message

On Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:06 AM
danny wrote:

Error message when mail-merging from Excel 2003
I have always been able to mailmerge letters in Word using a data-source in
Excel but recently every time I try it I get an error message "A field
calculation error occurred in record 1" and I can then okay this and get the
same error message for record 2 and so on until the end of the data.
Annoying when I have ten or twenty records but when I have several thousand I
can't cope. This happens with different letters and different spreadsheets.

Any ideas?
--
Danny

On Monday, September 08, 2008 6:09 AM
Peter Jamieson wrote:

A few things you can try or look at... a.
A few things you can try or look at...
a. If you create a simple mail merge main document with no text, images,
etc, do you see the problem? Make sure the document is completely blank
other than the stuff you insert, i.e. no headers/footers etc. (A "bad"
normal.dot could be inserteing something unhelpful into every document you
create).
b. Do you actually have any calculation fields in the problem documents (
i.e. {=} fields ?)
c. Do you have numeric picture switches (e.g. \#$,0.00 ) in any of your
fields, and if so, do the characters for the decimal point and separator
match the ones in your Windows regional options?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Easy "NO SCRIPT" DataGrid Tooltips in ASP.NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...--datagri.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Michael,

Not without using a macro. In any event, these errors are indicative of a problem in the field coding of your mailmerge main
document. I suggest you examine the field coding (via Alt-F9) to try to discover the errant field. If nothing's obvious, try
deleting fields one at a time and re-running the merge (on a small sample) until the error goes away. When it does, close the
mailmerge main document (without saving) and re-open it, then take a closer look at the field in question. If you can't see anything
obvious, post a text representation of the field code *exactly* as it appears in the document and we'll see what we can do to
resolve the problem.

--
Cheers
macropod

"dannyw" wrote in message

Easy "NO SCRIPT" DataGrid Tooltips in ASP.NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...--datagri.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you choose to "report errors in a new document", at least some types
of error will be output in that new document, and the merge /may/
proceed to completion, but there are obviously likely to be problems in
your merge output as macropod says.

You can select the "report errors in a new document option"
a. in Word 2007 using the Mailings tab-Preview Results group-Auto
check for errors option
b. in Word 2002/2003 by enabling the MailMerge toolbar (e.g.
View-Toolbars)and clicking the check for Errors button (about 5 buttons
from the right-hand end of the toolbar.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk