Cynthia Moore Cynthia Moore is offline
Junior Member

Default Short black line at end of document

One of my documents (and only one) has developed a short (2-3 characters) black line at the end of the document.

I think it is some setting. When this line appeared, I was cutting and pasting and I think my my fat fingers hit the wrong keyboard shortcut.

I've uploaded three files to this DropBox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wl7chrsnr...RnSfv_RSa?dl=0

The files are

1. temp.docx: This is the document with the problem. BTW, this line does not appear in any of my other documents. I included some lines with underlines created by entering "---" or "===" or "~~~" and then pressing Enter. I wanted to show that this is different than that.

2. temp.pdf: I saved the document as a PDF in case the line does not appear when opened by someone else. Unfortunately, it does not appear in the PDF.

3. temp.jpg: This is a screen shot of the open document clearly showing the black line.

Can anyone tell me what keyboard shortcut I pressed by accident and what one I need to press to undo it?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're viewing your document in Draft mode instead of Print Layout mode.
It's perfectly normal.

In olden time, Word didn't automatically show you what your document would
look like ("WYSIWYG"), because it took up lots of computer resources, but
nowadays Draft is sort of left over -- as of Word2007, anyway, it was the
only place you could change the Footnote Separator (I can't think of anything
else Draft mode is good for).

As of Word2007, anyway, there's a group of icons near the right end of the
bar at the bottom of the document window (to the left of the ones for zooming). The rightmost one is Draft, the leftmost one is Print Layout where
you want to be most of the time.

http://tinyurl.com/ob2ajkx

--
Cynthia Moore