Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
darren via OfficeKB.com

Default mailmerge create new doc

Hi

I'm using the MergeIt function off of the ms site to merge from a csv file.
It appears to work OK until it gets to:

'Execute the mail merge.
objWord.MailMerge.Execute

At which point it launches asecond non-mailmerge doc based on the
data/original doc. Is this right, if so if I delete these lines of code can
be sure that the merge document will contain updated data (assuming the csv
is uptodate of course.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

At which point it launches asecond non-mailmerge doc based on the
data/original doc.

Yes, that's because it is performing the merge with the output going to a
new document. If you just want it to go to a printer, use

objWord.MailMerge.Destination = wdSendToPrinter

somewhere before your .Execute line.

so if I delete these lines of code can
be sure that the merge document will contain updated data (assuming the
csv
is uptodate of course.

No, because then you are not doing the merge. All that happens is that your
mail merge main document is connected to the mail merge data source and if
the document is left open, the user will be able to "preview" the results.

( It isn't completely clear what overall result you are trying to achieve )

Peter Jamieson
"darren via OfficeKB.com" u11419@uwe wrote in message
Hi

I'm using the MergeIt function off of the ms site to merge from a csv
file.
It appears to work OK until it gets to:

'Execute the mail merge.
objWord.MailMerge.Execute

At which point it launches asecond non-mailmerge doc based on the
data/original doc. Is this right, if so if I delete these lines of code
can
be sure that the merge document will contain updated data (assuming the
csv
is uptodate of course.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
darrensawyer via OfficeKB.com

Thanks Peter

My objective it to open the merge document (which may be based on may records)
and let the user decide whether they want to print all of them, some of them
or one of them, and if necessary save to a new document.(s).

Ideally I want the merge document to act as a template and the content be
uneditable.

Peter Jamieson wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Well, in that case, I think you probably need to take out the Execute as you
suggest, and ensure that the user is left with the merge main document open.
It is then up to them to select the correct records using either the
Mailmerge"recipients" dialog box (I think it is easier to do this if the
user has the mailmerge toolbar enabled), or the start and end record number
dialog that pops up when they actually initiate the merge.

Peter Jamieson