Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Perplexed in Portland

Default Only 1 page of labels appear

I'm doing a mailmerge to make some labels off some shared contacts and for
some reason it's only making 1 page. There are over 100 contacts but no
matter how we do this we still end up with just one page of labels.
What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You are probably just previewing the merge - you need to complete the merge,
either by merging to a new document or merging to a printer - if you're
using the mail merge wizard, make sure you go through all the steps.

Peter Jamieson
"Perplexed in Portland"
wrote in message ...
I'm doing a mailmerge to make some labels off some shared contacts and for
some reason it's only making 1 page. There are over 100 contacts but no
matter how we do this we still end up with just one page of labels.
What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Perplexed in Portland

Thanks for the suggestion but we were indeed Completing the merge. We tried
doing it to a new document and we tried printing it - either way only getting
1 page.

wrote in message ...
I'm doing a mailmerge to make some labels off some shared contacts and for
some reason it's only making 1 page. There are over 100 contacts but no
matter how we do this we still end up with just one page of labels.
What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

No idea what is happening there. As a workaround, if "over 100" means "not
more than 200" it may be easier and quicker to select batches of contacts
and merge each batch separately.

Which version of Word? How are you connecting to the data source? Are you
starting from Outlook, or using the facility in Word's Mail Merge Wizard?

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
I'm doing a mailmerge to make some labels off some shared contacts and
for
some reason it's only making 1 page. There are over 100 contacts but no
matter how we do this we still end up with just one page of labels.
What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Perplexed in Portland

We're using Word off Office 2003 with SP2 and it's up to date otherwise.
We're opening Word and doing a Mail Merge with the step by step 'wizard' if
that's what that is. Our source is a shared contact folder for someone else
in this person's office.
I've done labels like this before but I've never seen where it only
completes 1 page no matter how many records it has to deal with. The only
variable really is the source is a shared contact folder.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help thus far by the way.

wrote in message
I'm doing a mailmerge to make some labels off some shared contacts and
for
some reason it's only making 1 page. There are over 100 contacts but no
matter how we do this we still end up with just one page of labels.
What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Perplexed in Portland

So I went through this entire process with the user in question one more time
and lo and behold if it didn't work this time. Not sure what we did
differently but thanks again for offering suggestions!.

wrote in message
I'm doing a mailmerge to make some labels off some shared contacts and
for
some reason it's only making 1 page. There are over 100 contacts but no
matter how we do this we still end up with just one page of labels.
What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I've had the same issue as the OP with Word mail merges. I use Win XP,
Word 2003, with Access 2003 as my data source. I have no trouble
previewing all the expected results, using the navigational buttons in
the upper part of the task pane. But, I have found that once I
complete the merge, the only way I can see all the pages is if I click
on "edit individual letters" or "edit individual labels" depending on
which type of merge it is.

If I use the "Print" link in task pane of the completed merge view, it
only prints a single page of labels or a single merged letter. Once I
click to edit individual items, I'm fine, and can print from there just
as I can in any Word document. But I know this is an extra step that
should not be required.

I know that the OP redid their merge and had success, but I can't get
that to happen. I've tried this many different times on different
computers in different offices. I've read the help screens at the
"gmayor" link above, but it does not answer my needs, as I truly AM
completing my merges.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks for any/all
replies!

Betsy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

But, I have found that once I
complete the merge, the only way I can see all the pages is if I click
on "edit individual letters" or "edit individual labels" depending on
which type of merge it is.

I think there is some confusion here. Until you have either gone into "Edit
individual letters", "Edit individual labels", or "Print..." then you have
not "completed the merge". I think the confusion arises because you click on
a link that says "Next: Complete the merge", so once you have clicked that,
it's not unreasonable to assume that you have completed the merge. However,
the text of each of those "Next" links in the Task Pane actually describes
what the next pane is going to let you do, not what is going to happen
immediately as a result of clicking the link. If you see what I mean...

But maybe you meant something else anyway.

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Peter-

That's a really sensible reply and you're right. I have been thinking
that the merge should be complete by clicking the "complete the merge"
link; what you say does make me realize how I was wrong in that
interpretation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You'll save yourself a lot of confusion if you avoid the wizard altogether
and use the merge toolbar - see